Full-Time Donor Relations Manager
Classification and Time: Full-time, Exempt
Annual Salary: $75,000 – $90,000, DOE
Benefits: 100% Employer-paid health, dental and vision per FUF Employee Handbook
Reports to: Vice President, Development
Hybrid Position: Currently requires minimum one day in the office
Date: September, 2023
About Friends of the Urban Forest
Since 1981, Friends of the Urban Forest, a premier San Francisco environmental justice nonprofit organization, has brought together communities throughout the city to plant more than 60,000 trees — half of San Francisco’s street tree canopy. Friends of the Urban Forest has a long history of integrating urban greening with civic engagement as a way to increase community health and resilience, combat the effects of the climate crisis, and promote environmental equity and social justice. Friends of the Urban Forest recognizes San Francisco’s many communities and cultures and the diverse ways in which they connect with our urban forest.
This new position at Friends of the Urban Forest is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing and dynamic professional organization that has been creating a greener San Francisco for over 40 years.
The Donor Relations Manager will have a significant influence in an organization connecting people with nature and each other across San Francisco. Working closely with the the Vice President, Development and the Development team, as well as the Marketing and Communications team, the Executive Director, and other key program staff, the Donor Relations Manager will be responsible for building, directing and growing Friends of the Urban Forest’s new mid-level donor circle, currently including a base of 400+ donors giving between $500-$5,000 annually. The gift officer in this new position will also focus on the “Donor Journey” by creating and managing the donor communications and engagement plan for donors at all levels, as well as identifying, researching and cultivating potential major donors.
The ideal candidate for this position is focused, organized, entreprenuerial and collaborative, a great team player, and has strong relationship-building, research and communication skills. In addition, the ideal candidate will have a passion for Friends of the Urban Forest’s mission, will be in alignment with the organization’s values, and will take pride in seeing the direct impact of their work on the streets of San Francisco daily.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Development team, the Marketing and Communications team and other key staff, develop, build, and manage a new mid-level giving circle for donors who make gifts of $500-$5,000 annually.
- Develop a strategic vision and plan and execute strategies for acquiring, maintaining, and upgrading mid-level donors
- Cultivate relationships, solicit gifts, and steward mid-level donors.
- Collaborate with the Development Program Manager on defining and creating the mid-level donor portfolio and moving donors into the mid-level and major donor portfolios
- Under the direction of the Development Program Manager, develop and execute strategies for increasing the pool of recurring donors.
- In collaboration with the Development Program Manager, develop and implement donor engagement strategies for individual donors at all levels in order to deepen donor relationships and engagement with Friends of the Urban Forest and its mission.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team on donor messaging and communication.
- Implement and attend virtual and in-person meetings to cultivate donor and prospect relationships
- Under the direction of the Vice President, Development, develop and implement strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major donor prospects.
- Maintain a portfolio of major donors/prospects with specific cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for each assigned prospect.
- Ensure consistent and appropriate contact with major donors and major donor prospects to facilitate or make solicitations and ensure effective stewardship.
- Coordinate virtual and in-person meetings to cultivate donor and prospect relationships.
- Assist the Vice President, Development in executing campaigns and major donor-related events.
- Plan, manage or help support special projects and events related to Development efforts as they may arise.
- Maintain accurate donor files and records within the Salesforce donor database.
- Develop custom reports, dashboards, and campaigns to track progress, in collaboration with the Development team and the Database Manager.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- A strong commitment to environmental justice, equity, and inclusion within the broader movement and the workplace.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience (or equivalent) and a proven record of success in nonprofit fundraising, particularly with engaging donors, implementing fundraising campaigns, and meeting revenue targets.
- Familiarity and experience with managing a donor portfolio is a plus.
- Strategic and creative thinker.
- Strong interpersonal, research and communication skills.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Experience using donor management systems and maintaining accurate records. Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
- Commitment to professional development and keeping current on best practices for stewardship and development, and overall philanthropic practices and trends.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with colleagues working remotely or in the office.
- Good judgment and respect for ethical and confidentiality guidelines.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits
The Donor Relations Manager position is full-time, exempt with an annual salary of $75,000-$90,000 annually, depending on experience.
Friends of the Urban Forest offers a competitive benefits package that includes 100% employer-covered medical, dental, vision, life, and AD&D insurance for employees and 50% for dependents (up to a certain limit). We offer a 403(b) Retirement Plan, a generous paid leave policy that includes 13 holidays each year, vacation starting at 12 days and increasing with additional years of employment, funds for professional development opportunities, and stipends for remote work.
Flexible and Safe Work Environment
The position currently operates in a hybrid model with approximately 25% time working in the office located in the beautiful Presidio of San Francisco, and 75% time working remotely.
Friends of the Urban Forest is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy environment for all employees. In an effort to avoid serious health and safety risks and significant disruption to our work, we have taken measures to protect against the spread of COVID-19 including a mandatory vaccination policy. New hires will be asked to provide proof of vaccination on the first day of employment.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Office workspaces are often shared and employees should not have any expectation that they can be assigned a dedicated workspace.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Friends of the Urban Forest is dedicated to gender and race equity and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, Friends of the Urban Forest does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of any status or characteristic protected by applicable laws or ordinances. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.