Full-Time Director, Zero-Energy & Carbon New Buildings
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading nonprofit research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified director of zero-energy and carbon for its buildings program. ACEEE conducts independent analysis and develops transformative policies to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, protects the environment, and promotes the health, safety, and well-being of everyone.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while integrating equity into our research and policy work.
ACEEE seeks a director of zero-energy and carbon new buildings, (level based on candidate’s expertise and years of experience) to lead and enhance research on energy efficiency and decarbonization of new construction, including commercial, residential, and multi-family buildings. This position is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with experience in buildings, new construction, and code development. The ideal candidate will also have a passion for addressing climate change through policy-focused research and an interest in furthering his or her career in a dynamic and growing sector.
Buildings, which account for about a third of U.S. greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, are critical to reducing emissions, promoting energy affordability, and improving community health and well-being. ACEEE’s buildings program covers a variety of topics: zero-energy and zero-carbon new construction, retrofits, embodied carbon, affordable housing, electrification, and advanced building technologies.
The director of zero-energy and carbon new buildings will steer ACEEE’s research to identify trends and valuable insights that advance energy efficiency and decarbonization of new construction. This position reports to ACEEE’s Buildings program director and collaborates closely with other teams at ACEEE such as utilities, behavior, and federal, state, and local policies. The director is expected to lead building research projects and collaborations that often result in externally reviewed research reports, topic briefs, presentations, and press interviews. Building on ACEEE research, this role also provides expertise and technical assistance to partners and policymakers working on emerging energy efficiency and decarbonization issues, particularly those related to codes and standards.
- Innovating and developing next steps for new buildings including strategies and approaches for codes adoption, implementation, and reaching zero-energy and zero-carbon goals
- Leading and contributing to ACEEE research, publishing technical reports, and summarizing findings for non-technical audiences
- Researching energy efficiency and decarbonization in new buildings, including specific technologies and approaches to different building types and sectors.
- Convening working groups, providing technical assistance, and supporting policy development
- Participating in energy codes development at the national level, including ASHRAE 90.1, IECC, and others through participation as a voting member on committees and development and support of code proposals that enhance energy efficiency and decarbonization
- Encouraging and supporting adoption of the most recent versions of codes and standards at the state and local level to ensure strong energy efficiency requirements within building codes without rollbacks from the national building code
- Contributing to the buildings program’s strategy development and proposal writing
- Work may also include convening with external partners, writing blog posts, developing presentations, and speaking at webinars/conferences
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Highly analytical and detail-oriented
- Skilled at forming research questions; collecting secondary data and information; writing up findings and formulating recommendations based on findings
- Has expertise in energy efficiency in buildings and homes
- Has expertise in codes and standards development
- Has experience providing technical assistance to programs and policies at the federal, state and/or local levels
- Experienced using Excel for analysis and visualization
- Has excellent writing and oral presentation skills
- Able to simultaneously work on several ongoing projects with competing deadlines
- Able to make critical choices independently
- Collaborates well within a team and asks for help and guidance when needed
- Has strong interpersonal skills; is articulate and thoughtful
- An advanced degree in engineering, science, or similar fields
- Demonstrated expertise with at least fifteen years of relevant work experience
- Multiple peer-reviewed reports including lead author on at least one major/complex research report
- Able to proactively assess and address the social and equity implications of research findings and various policy and program designs.
- Knowledge of decarbonization and emissions in buildings
- Knowledge of building codes and standards
- Expertise in energy modeling and analysis
Preferred start date: on or about January 2022, based in Washington, DC. Currently remote (work from home) with the potential for remaining remote.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $92,010 to $115,012 ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and use “Director of zero-energy and carbon buildings” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.
How to ApplyTo apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com and use “Director of zero-energy and carbon buildings” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls. Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405