Full-Time Director of Water Policy & Practice
New Jersey Future (NJF) is looking for a highly motivated individual with a record of success to drive change in the policy and practice of two of the most timely and pressing water challenges, stormwater management and lead in drinking water, as well as water infrastructure policies more generally. The Director will be responsible for managing three grant-funded projects and full-time staff, as well as collaborating with many colleagues and external partners. The Director will be part of a highly motivated, creative, and collegial team advancing the organization’s mission.
The Director of Water Policy and Practice (WPP), reporting to the Managing Director of Policy and Water, will drive change in the policy and practice of stormwater management, lead-safe drinking water, and water infrastructure policies more generally while advancing NJF’s broader mission. This is a full-time position working on-site at the organization’s Trenton, New Jersey office at least three days per week.
The Director of WPP’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Staff management: Manage program staff responsible for mainstreaming green infrastructure, stormwater utilities, lead in drinking water policy, and general water policy support. Management duties include weekly supervision, coaching, training, and hiring if needed.
- Project management: Accomplish goals and produce deliverables for the projects listed below through staff management and selective implementation. Identify and pursue additional strategic programmatic and grant opportunities. Work collaboratively with NJF staff to identify and foster synergies between various projects. Prepare and present quarterly work plans and progress reports. Manage project spending within budget limitations.
- Mainstreaming Green Infrastructure (MGI)–NJF works with state agencies, developers, municipalities, and nonprofit partners to mainstream green stormwater infrastructure practices through state policy change and direct education, training, and technical assistance.
- Stormwater Utilities–NJF fosters the creation of local stormwater utilities by providing educational resources, peer sharing opportunities, and direct technical assistance.
- Lead in Drinking Water Task Force/Policy Committee–NJF convenes this 30-member group under the dual auspices of two collaboratives, Jersey Water Works and Lead-Free NJ, to identify practical, broadly supported policy solutions to eliminate the risk of lead in drinking water.
- General Water Infrastructure Policy–NJF water programs require policy support in areas including smart water infrastructure plans, adequate and equitable financing, climate resilience, transparent data, and empowered stakeholders.
- Policy development and advocacy: Develop effective policy solutions based on research, collaboration, and consensus-building. Support and participate in advocacy efforts.
- Funding: Assume primary responsibility for preparing grant reports and proposals, with guidance from the managing director. Contribute to a positive profile for NJF and its work with funders.
- Support of broader organizational efforts: Assist with organizational events, special projects, strategy conversations, and committees. Support the Jersey Water Works Collaborative as a committee member. Build NJF’s and JWW’s networks, membership, and relationships by representing them at events and in collaborative activities.
- Experience in one or more of New Jersey Future’s key policy areas – water infrastructure, green stormwater infrastructure, lead remediation, state policy, planning and redevelopment, the environment, sustainability, or strong communities
- Commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and employing these values in all aspects of their work
- Minimum five years experience in project management or coordination
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to motivate, influence, and drive creativity and enthusiasm in direct reports, peers, partners, and decision-makers
- Demonstrated ability to assume responsibility, make sound decisions, and interact with a diverse group of individuals and sectors
- Team player with a collaborative working style; proven ability to build consensus among a diverse group of actors
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
- Bachelors or advanced college degree
Salary range is $65,000-72,000 based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Salary negotiable. This is a full-time position with benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, short- and long-term disability.
How to ApplyInterested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, a resume, and one short writing sample (no more than five pages) to HR@njfuture.org.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405