Full-Time Director of Impact & Ecosystem Services
WHY WORK WITH MAD AGRICULTURE?
Our mission is to create a regenerative revolution in agriculture. At Mad Ag we believe that healing our relationships to self, others and the earth is our highest calling. To do this, we put radical ideals to work. We see no division between the work of the heart, soul and mind. Our day-in, day-out work is focused on helping farmers and ranchers transition to and thrive in regenerative organic agriculture. We support stewards of the land with land & business planning, access to equitable financing and values-aligned markets. We also work to tell the story of regeneration using a variety of communication approaches that often include collaborations within our community.
Mad Agriculture is a fast-paced startup and action-oriented organization seeking exemplary individuals committed to the revolution. Our culture is entrepreneurial and deeply rooted in a commitment to creating services and products that meet the deepest needs of the farmers, ranchers and land that we serve. We currently work in 13 US states with 60+ farmers and ranchers with a focus on staple crops and livestock.
The Director of Impact & Ecosystem Services will be an exemplary scientist with an entrepreneurial penchant for accelerating regenerative organic agriculture by valuing and monetizing ecosystem services.
This role will have three core duties:
- Build on and solidify a scientific understanding of how our work is actually regenerating land and farmer or rancher wellbeing.
- Communicate our learnings to key stakeholders, especially farmers, to provide insights and feedback on best practices. Also, communicate our learnings with policy makers, funding partners, thought leaders in the ecosystem service sector and beyond.
- Work to measure, report and verify regenerative outcomes as a foundation for monetizing ecosystem services on behalf of our farm and ranch partners. Translate metrics into ESG reporting formats for food purchasers or investment partners.
In 2021, we launched a robust research project to deeply investigate the financial and ecological impact of transitioning to regenerative and organic agriculture. Along with our core partners, Ecdysis Foundation and RES (formerly Applied Ecological Services), we are using state of the art approaches to measure a variety of indicators of ecosystem wellbeing, including soil health, carbon sequestration, insect and bird biodiversity and more. This robust scientific approach will lay the foundation of determining the value and monetization of ecosystem services on behalf of our farm partners.
Scientific Investigation & Project Management
- Lead and assist the research team and collaborating partners with organizing, identifying, planning, implementing, monitoring, controlling, and reporting actions that will deliver on objectives.
- Maintain direct relationships with 30+ farmers to deploy our research approach.
- Continual learning and deep understanding of the research trends and paradigms of understanding with regards to how agriculture impacts soil health, as well as natural and managed ecosystems.
- Manage and organize all data into a synthetic and harmonized dataset that can be readily used to analyze data and investigate the impact of regeneration.
- Strong ability to collect, organize, visualize ecological data, with a strong ability to use theory to interpret and communicate findings in a variety of formats.
- Use strong analytical, strategic and critical thinking skills to analyze results, communicate findings verbally and in reports, and be able to shift easily between strategic and tactical roles.
- Participate in creative problem solving and process improvement for data gathering, assessments, analysis, reporting, team coordination, and project management.
Ecosystem Services Valuation
- Work to translate research findings into value for the emerging ecosystem services marketplace. Use ecosystem service assessment and valuation (monetary or not), with ability to evaluate and use best-fit strategies for our goals (e.g., novel ES modeling approaches, ecosystem services credit implementation, carbon credit valuations, conservation finance, insetting impact with partnering buyers and brands, etc).
- Work with our Markets team to build ESG reports for food brands and purchasers.
- Work with our Land and Business team to develop a strategic business model that monetizes ecosystem services.
- Work with our Capital team to communicate impact to investors and financing partners.
- Use the principles of and practices of environmental science and ecosystem ecology to support landscape scale regeneration.
Leadership & Business
- Develop impact reporting and educational materials to support the training and animation of our teams and other stakeholders on regenerative organic agriculture.
- Represent Mad Agriculture as a leader in the emerging natural capital and ecosystem service marketplace, which will include speaking engagements, conferences and panels.
- Quickly build relationships with values–aligned partners. Get to know all of the leaders in the natural asset space (i.e. Nori, Regen Network, etc.), understand their approaches, strategies, and potential for partnership.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and the Director of Operations to fundraise for the program.
- Bring energy, verve and a commitment to entrepreneurial creation. Discover how valuing nature for its whole wealth can lead to viable farm businesses.
- High-level training in the fields of ecology, evolutionary biology, biogeochemistry, environmental and/or soil sciences. A robust understanding of ecological theory, principles and practices, and the ability to apply this knowledge to projects. A Ph.D. degree is preferred with postdoc and/or sector experience.
- Familiarity with ecological economics, natural asset management and/or valuation.
- Demonstrated experience engaging diverse stakeholder communities, especially the soft skills of building trust and connecting with farmers.
- Deeply empathic and cares foremost for the customers and land we serve.
- Seeking personal and professional transformation in your work.
- Great at working within teams, yet can operate independently.
- Highly organized, punctual and get things done on time.
- Experienced or has ambition to manage a fast-moving and agile team.
- Creative, curious and has a relentless appetite for learning and for action.
- Gregarious, a connector, networker, and loves empowering others. You think of cooperation first, not competition.
- Capacity to lead and grow an Ecosystem Services team.
- Entrepreneurial by nature. You’re a self-starter able to function independently and adapt to changing priorities in a start-up, fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical skills, strategic and critical thinking skills, and able to shift easily between strategic and tactical roles.
- Strong writing, research and verbal skills, especially analytical skills.
- Ability to travel as needed.
How to Apply
- This application is rolling with a March 14th deadline. Please submit your resume and a cover letter on our Application Page. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes why you’re right for this role, what inspires you about our mission, your qualifications, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position.
- This is a full-time position that reports to the Director of Operations. Competitive salary, ranging between $90-130k/year. This position can be remote and will involve moderate travel to farms, conferences, and key partner meetings. Mad Ag is based in Boulder, Colorado and we have a fantastic workspace downtown Boulder. Unlimited PTO. Healthcare benefits provided. Located in Boulder, CO.
- Mad Agriculture provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405