Full-Time Director of Human Resources & Culture
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking an experienced Human Resource and Culture Director to work in our Clinton Township, MI office or any of our fifteen offices.
Clean Water Action (CWA) is a national, grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Fund (CWF) is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are committed to becoming anti-racist organizations. The Director will provide leadership to assure that policies and practices for hiring, compensation and performance management are aligned with this goal and with best HR practices, and keep the Organizations in compliance with employment laws and regulations. The Director will lead the Organizations’ national initiatives to hire, develop and retain a world class work force that is diverse and lives its anti-racist values.
The Human Resource and Culture Director will train and supervise 1– 2 staff persons and also train and support hiring managers in our offices around the country. The Director reports to the President and National Managing Director and is a member of the Executive Management Team of the Organization. S/he/they are responsible for ensuring that the Organization’s Human Resource and Culture policies and practices are in support of the overarching vision of justice, diversity, equity and inclusion (JEDI) for Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund – both at the programmatic and administrative levels. This position requires an inspiring, collaborative, courageous, innovative, visionary leader with outstanding communication and management skills.
Develop and implement Human Resource and Culture policies and procedures that are designed to drive a positive workplace culture and promote excellence, and that are aligned with our anti-racist vision and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. This includes, but is not limited to:
Manage Core Human Resource Functions:
- Hire, train and supervise two payroll and benefits staff;
- Maintain records and compile statistical reports concerning personnel-related data such as number of hires, transfers and performance appraisals, and absenteeism rates, including particularly diversity and equity
- Ensure compliance with federal and state labor laws, equal employment practices, anti- discrimination laws, and other applicable regulatory compliance;
- Develop and monitor progress toward our JEDI vision and achievement of our JEDI goals as well as the execution of strategies that map toward those goals;
- Prepare and follow personnel budgets for operations;
- Assist managers with difficult staffing duties, including dealing with understaffing, refereeing disputes, firing employees, and administering disciplinary procedures in an equitable and legally compliant manner; and,
- Represent organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations, if any;
- Communicate and articulate Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action
Lead Talent Acquisition at the Organization:
- Identify staff vacancies and assist in the recruitment, interviews, and selection of applicants, keeping equity in mind when disseminating information about job openings so that the Organization obtains a diverse array of applicants;
- Design and implement strategies for recruiting and retaining leaders, particularly from under-represented communities, to senior leadership positions; and,
- Ensure consistent new employee on-boarding to foster positive attitudes, especially around JEDI
Design Compensation Programs:
- Administer benefit programs to be competitive, equitable, and compliant with all laws and regulations;
- Ensure programs are designed to achieve the Organization’s goals and are implemented in an unbiased and fair way; and,
- Ensure that compensation programs do not result in unwarranted disparate impact on staff of color or other identified groups.
Design and Help Implement Programs and Policies to Ensure a Transformative Culture for the Organization:
- Plan, organize and coordinate the JEDI programs at the Organization;
- Help design, implement and promote diversity and equity trainings and resources;
- Manage and investigate employee grievances and complaints (including harassment, discrimination, racist behavior);
- Manage annual job satisfaction surveys and evaluate management personnel based on employee satisfaction, equity principals and an equity framework; and,
- Oversee the exit interview process, including exit interviews that include questions regarding equity issues at the
Design and Lead Employee Training and Development Efforts:
- Analyze training needs and design employee development, language training, equity training, health and safety programs;
- Develop a leadership development curriculum and organization wide training with particular focus on JEDI training and opportunities to provide career advancement pathways for communities of color;
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or equivalent professional training and experience
- Minimum of 5-years’ experience as a Human Resource and Culture Manager (or comparable);
- Knowledge of federal and state labor laws, equal employment practices, anti- discrimination laws.
- Coursework or training in multiculturalism, intercultural communications or related topics;
- Cultural competence, commitment to racial justice and equity and experience working with diverse communities and staff
- Superior interpersonal skills, good problem-solver;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a track record of developing and implementing Human Resources policies, especially around racial and gender equity matters;
- Experience investigating employee harassment or discrimination complaints and facilitating conflict resolution;
- Hand-on experience in payroll processing and working with third party payroll service company preferred;
- Computer competency and working with cloud-based file sharing.
How to ApplySend your resume and cover letter via email to Kathleen E. Aterno, National Managing Director, email@example.com or by mail to Kathleen E. Aterno, Clean Water Action, PO Box 188, Mount Clemens, MI 48046. Submit one to two letters of recommendation regarding experience handling matters from an equity lens from past co- workers or employers and contact information for three references.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405