Full-Time Director of Digital Marketing and Public Relations
Adventure Scientists is looking for an experienced Marketing/PR/Communications professional to join our leadership team as we unlock access to critical data for leaders working on solutions to the world’s biggest environmental challenges.
You will play a significant role in advancing the organization, with a particular focus on shaping the direction of Adventure Scientists’ brand and reputation with scientific partners, donors, sponsors, and volunteers. As the head of our marketing team, you will find creative ways to articulate and present our programs to drive broad awareness about the importance of our work, increase partner engagement, and showcase our impact at scale. You will work cross-functionally to grow and engage our global community. Success in this role includes: identifying and pursuing opportunities to raise our profile and garnering new partners and funders for us to join forces with.
If you’re a seasoned marketing leader with digital savvy, multi-channel expertise, team leadership experience, and a desire to communicate our mission as we scale globally, we’d love to talk with you. You will report to the Executive Director.
How You Will Contribute to Adventure Scientists:
- Work alongside the Executive Director and the Senior Leadership Team to craft and carry out the strategic direction of Adventure Scientists’ marketing and communications efforts
- Design and oversee the implementation of integrated marketing plans to drive project sales, development, and volunteer recruiting
- Frame compelling narratives for Adventure Scientists’ various active projects and generate media coverage with unified messaging
- Collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team to identify, craft, and execute strategic priorities for growing global NGO
- Develop inclusive, unified messaging that resonates with multiple audience segments
- Craft compelling media content such as pitch decks, annual reports, press releases, and other collaterals in various formats including digital
- Support other external-facing departments to achieve their goals in cultivating donor, scientific, corporate, and outdoor adventure partnerships
- Manage or delegate management of founder’s media appearances and presentations, often with scientific partners, to shepherd organizational brand and elevate awareness of Adventure Scientists to a global audience
- Manage or delegate the management of media partnerships with brands, ambassadors, press, and others
- Manage, grow, and empower a high-functioning communications and marketing team
- Identify and liaise with external consultants as needed to carry out strategy
- Hold team accountable to results and make mid-course corrections where needed
- 10+ years of experience in driving the creation and execution of complex communications and marketing plans, ideally in science communications, global conservation, or innovation
- Entrepreneurial spirit and growth mindset
- Ability to communicate complex scientific concepts in a compelling way to a wide variety of audiences in public forums as well as individual and group meetings
- Proven experience working with environmental or health focused NGOs, researchers, and government agencies in the United States and abroad
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and uplifting non-traditional voices in the scientific, conservation, and outdoor adventure fields
- Critical understanding of the evolving fields of conservation and human health
- Rich experience staffing and prepping senior executives for public-facing events, as well as rapid response communications
- Track-record securing top-tier coverage and strong relationships with media who cover scientific discovery, innovation, outdoor adventure, and global conservation
- Excellent writing skills with ability to craft thoughtful, inclusive communications (external and internal communications, messaging, talking points, etc.)
- Proven strategic and innovative thinker that thrives in a fast-paced environment with the ability to work cross-functionally and build consensus
- A strong bias towards action
- Experience managing outside communications and creative service contractors
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving abilities in the field, at the office, and in life
- Experience managing and mentoring direct reports to ensure continued professional growth and development
- Desire to join and assist in the growth of a fast paced, young, dynamic nonprofit organization
Work Schedule & Compensation
This is a full-time position that we prefer is based at Adventure Scientists’ headquarters in Bozeman, MT. While there is a strong preference that this hire work from Bozeman, remote work will also be considered. This position may require limited travel throughout the year. Occasional work on weekends or at night should also be expected.
Starting salary for this role begins at $100,000. We offer a generous and flexible benefits package, including employer-subsidized healthcare, SIMPLE IRA plan plus employer matching, personal and professional development fund opportunities, paid time off, paid parental leave, student loan relief, and paid powder days. Additional perks include part-time work-from-home opportunities, sabbaticals for long-tenured employees, and access to pro deals. Plus, we have a dog-friendly office, so you are invited to bring your best friend to work!
Adventure Scientists is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that aims to be the world’s greatest collector of large datasets from the field. Our scientific partners around the world use these data to address environmental and human health challenges. Our projects have ranged from amassing the largest dataset documenting global microplastic pollution to collecting scat samples to aid in identifying the genetic origins of antibiotic resistance.
United in Adventure
Adventure Scientists celebrates the fact that diverse identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences enrich our team culture and reflect our values. We are committed to: providing an equal employment opportunity for all applicants; increasing diversity in our board, staff, and the people that we serve; and embedding justice, equity and inclusion into the structure and strategy of Adventure Scientists. Our employment decisions are based on our organization’s needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, and we take concrete actions to ensure we do not discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, family or parental status, disability, age, national origin, or any other protected status. To learn about the specific ways in which we are continuing to learn and grow, please see our Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Statement or feel free to reach out to the hiring manager for this role.
How to ApplyTo Apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your application on our website. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. Applications must include:
- Cover letter describing your background and interest in the position
- Resume (limited to two pages)
- Portfolio of 2-4 work samples that demonstrate your most effective communication and marketing strategic efforts
- Three professional references