Part-Time Director of Development
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
(60% time – 3 days per week)
Acterra is a local climate action organization that has served Silicon Valley and the Bay Area since 1970. Our programs address climate change by promoting greater use of renewable energy,residential energy efficiency, clean transportation, and leadership in corporate sustainability. We also work to ensure that clean energy technologies, including rooftop solar and electric vehicles,are accessible to low-income communities. Acterra is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in Palo Alto. Our programs engage families, individuals, and companies in the Bay Area, with a focus on Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. For more information, visit acterra.org.
The Director of Development will plan and coordinate all of Acterra’s unrestricted development activities including individual, foundation, and planned giving. As a member of the management team, the Director of Development is responsible for bringing new strategies and contacts to the organization, and managing development operations to ensure the continued success of Acterra.
• Lead and manage the organization’s development and fundraising efforts
• Create and implement an annual unrestricted development plan and strategy
• Work closely with the Executive Director and chair of the Development Committee to set unrestricted fundraising budget, then actively manage and report on progress
• Manage the major donor program for consistent, year-to-year growth by soliciting,
engaging and nurturing relationships with donors and the community
• Assists program directors with restricted fundraising, including identifying grant
• Working closely with the Development Committee, guide and support board members
and other volunteers in their fundraising roles and responsibilities
• Actively network and research to identify new donor prospects
• Participate in Board, Development, and Event Committee meetings
• Oversee planning and execution of cultivation, stewardship, and fundraising events
• Oversee development of solicitation materials for use in direct mail appeals, face-to-face meetings, and general collateral.
• Lead ongoing marketing and communications for planned giving program and Healthy Planet Legacy Society to increase participation.
• This is an exempt position reporting to the Executive Director. She/he works closely with program staff regarding fundraising efforts, special events, and donor cultivation.
• This position also works closely with board members, especially the Board president,
Development Committee chair and other committee members, to motivate, train and
coordinate efforts to achieve development success.
• This position supervises a Development Coordinator.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• 5+ years of experience managing and directing a fundraising effort and engaging active volunteer and board leaders.
• Experience cultivating and stewarding major donors and soliciting individual gifts of
• Familiarity with local and regional stakeholders in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties.
• Excellent communication skills — both verbal and written, and the ability to effectively and professionally represent Acterra in the community.
• High energy level and ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively with staff and volunteers.
• Understanding of and passion for Acterra’s mission.
• Exceptional organizational skills including the ability to set and act on top priority goals while still attending to detail.
• Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, and database, accounting, and fundraising
software. Familiarity with Mac preferred.
• Flexible schedule occasionally required for evening/weekend events.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Compensation DOE. Acterra offers generous benefits