- Location: US-based, remote. Applicants must physically live in the United States and have legal authorization to work in the US. OpenAQ is unable to sponsor visas.
OpenAQ is a 501(c)3 non-profit based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to aggregate and harmonize open air quality data across the globe and to build an ecosystem of people across sectors and geographies to use these open data to fight the unequal access to clean air to breathe — air inequality. As context, according to the WHO, air pollution is responsible for 1 out of 8 deaths, making air pollution one of the biggest public health and human rights issues of our time.
The OpenAQ Platform currently houses about half a billion data points from 11,000+ stations in 93 countries and is the largest open air quality data platform of its kind, in terms of measurements and geography. We receive ~35 million data requests/month to the open API.
The underlying platform that fetches, stores, and serves data is completely open-source and has subsequently been built by a global community of scientists, software developers and others invested in creating a global air quality open data-sharing infrastructure over the past 5 years. The data are used for a wide variety of applications, including everything from air quality forecasts produced by NASA scientists to apps communicating air quality in Delhi to data-driven media reports for the general public.
By filling this basic data access gap and convening a global community of folks passionate about fighting air pollution, OpenAQ empowers a wide variety of individuals, organizations, and sectors across the globe to do more with these existing data.
The director will lead OpenAQ in fulfilling its mission to help communities fight air inequality with open data. OpenAQ has grown from an idea a couple of people began working on to an impactful, international organization with a dedicated, global community in the past 5 years. We’re looking for someone to help lead the organization into its next chapter!
What you will do:
Provide Strategic Leadership
- Develop the organization’s strategic plan to meet its mission of fighting air inequality with open data and community. This will be done in partnership with the Governing Board, Advisory Board, OpenAQ Team, and the OpenAQ Community.
- Identify opportunities to advance OpenAQ’s mission through analysis of opportunities and challenges.
- Act as the key spokesperson for the organization to the OpenAQ Community, including giving speeches, talks, designing and attending workshops, and presentations at conferences and meetings around the world.
- Develop and maintain partnerships and strategic relationships with organizations, donors, and governments.
- Foster and maintain an open, inclusive, and collaborative environment among the OpenAQ Community and especially on the OpenAQ Team.
- Deepen relationships with governments and other data-generating partners.
- Develop the strategic plan for the growth of the OpenAQ platform and open data tooling ecosystem by increasing data sources and data types, as well as applications for the OpenAQ Community such as data tools, to increase data access for all sectors of the Community.
- Develop operational plans in support of OpenAQ’s strategic plans.
- Oversee the efficient and effective operation of the organization.
- Manage the OpenAQ Team, which currently consists of 3 remote employees (including the director).
- Ensure the organization’s operations and policies are in compliance with all applicable laws, including maintaining registrations, annual tax filings, labor law compliance.
- Provide support to the Governing Board with regular communications and updates, including preparation of meeting agendas in collaboration with the board.
- Manage day-to-day finances, such as budget development and expenditures, banking, smooth completion of an annual audit, ensuring accurate bookkeeping and accounting procedures.
Oversee Programming and Services
- Oversee the implementation of ongoing OpenAQ programs, such as the OpenAQ Workshops and Community Series Events.
- Develop new projects and programs that strengthen OpenAQ’s mission and global network.
- Oversee organizational partnership development, requirements, and relations.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s services and programs and monitor progress.
Build Business Development Plan
- Lead the continued development of a comprehensive fundraising plan for the organization.
- Cultivate strategic and mutually beneficial relationships with foundations, donors, corporations and other partners.
- Develop programs, projects and campaigns that contribute to the ongoing financial health of the organization.
- Manage grants and contracts and negotiate agreements; monitor progress of grants; and fulfill reporting requirements related to all grants.
- You must care deeply about improving global air quality and fighting air inequality and believe open data-sharing infrastructure is a critical tool in the fight.
- You are highly-self motivated and self-directed, excited about the opportunity to impact and shape the global open air quality data landscape.
- You have a documented track-record of leading and growing non-profit organizations successfully, specifically including writing successful proposals in the non-profit space that significantly grew your previous organization, as well as building a network of funders and long-term funding relationships.
- You have high emotional intelligence and a strong ability to listen, communicate, and empathize with individuals from diverse technical, non-technical, and geographic backgrounds.
- You have a working knowledge of open data-sharing infrastructure (e.g. APIs, open-source tools, etc.).
- You are fluent in English.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or higher, but note that this qualification can be met as a result of other professional, educational, and lived experience.
- Periodic travel and weekend work is required.
- You have previous supervisory experience, with the ability to lead diverse teams in goal-setting and strategic planning.
Compensation and Benefits Package
OpenAQ anticipates the salary for this position will be approximately $100,000. In addition to monetary compensation, OpenAQ offers competitive benefits, including a 401(k) with 10% match, a QSEHRA health reimbursement plan, holidays, unlimited PTO (with 2 weeks encouraged), and additional family-friendly leave policies.