Full-Time Digital Media Specialist, Energy and Environment Campaigns
Reports to: Deputy Director, Energy and Environment Campaigns
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Energy and Environment
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union – Level 4
Minimum compensation: $60,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Digital Media Specialist in its Energy and Environment department to coordinate and manage the department’s online presence and digital advocacy efforts, including digital communication, email marketing, and social media management. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and project management skills; attention to detail; and a commitment to tackling climate change and addressing environmental injustice.
The position will report to the Deputy Director of Energy and Environment Campaigns and will work closely with American Progress’ Digital Strategy and Advocacy teams. Prior experience in climate and energy policy is preferred but not required.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” They will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the Energy and Environment department’s policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Digital advertisements management: Manage relationships, contracts, communications, and projects with external vendors to launch and track intensive lead generation advertisement campaigns across social media platforms; inform advertisement content strategy; and secure the necessary approvals at American Progress. This position does not supervise staff directly but will manage colleagues on cross-team projects, ensuring accountability for on-time delivery and clear communication.
- Email marketing: Draft petition and email copy to activate American Progress’ Energy and Environment email list and inform recipients of new content, actions, successes, and events; analyze email statistics and make recommendations for improvement; and grow email lists.
- Social media engagement: Draft content for and co-manage the Energy and Environment department’s Twitter account; keep a pulse on current social media trends, language, users, and best practices; grow the Energy and Environment department’s social media following; and create—or oversee the creation of—informative, compelling graphics and visual content.
- Metrics reporting: Track and analyze the performance of projects, such as the performance of social media posts, emails, petitions, and advocacy materials, and apply that knowledge to improve marketing and outreach.
- Engage with and amplify partner efforts: Represent American Progress in coalition meetings and stay abreast of coalition priorities; support the drafting and amplification of coalition materials; and advise on communications and digital strategy for coalitions as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
- At least three years of work experience in digital and social media, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization. This experience can include internships, activist roles, or other positions, and volunteer experience may be considered. Experience in climate and/or environmental policy is preferred.
- Communication skills: Proficiency in written and oral communication, including the ability to communicate policy matters to a nonpolicy audience. A strong writer who is eager to distill complex topics for general audiences.
- Digital media skills: Experience and proficiency in at least two of the following: social media engagement, digital advertisement campaigns, email marketing and advocacy, and graphic and visual media design. The ideal applicant will have some experience with most of these and a strong interest in becoming proficient in all of them.
- Project management skills: Proven ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities. Ability to ensure the brand maintains a consistent voice and messaging across all channels. Self-motivated ability to solve complex problems in an innovative, effective, and timely manner.
- Marketing sense: An interest in seeing communications from the user’s perspective and to step outside the organization’s perspective to thoroughly navigate all emails, petitions, advertisements, and digital content. Ability to communicate effectively and ensure an intuitive experience for the end user.
- Willingness to take ownership over independent projects.
- Understanding of, or commitment to, learning more about how environmental issues intersect with racism and economic and social inequality, as well as a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals, including environmental and social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Graphic design experience and proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva, or other graphic design tools and programs is preferred but not required.
- Experience editing videos is preferred but not required.
- Experience creating interactive, new media packages for brands is preferred but not required.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $60,000.
We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
How to ApplyPlease apply through our website.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405