Internship Digital Media Intern
July 8, 2021
Digital Media Intern – Full Time or 50%
About the Organization
CLASP serves at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency. Our mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world. We work hand-in-hand with governments, experts, industry, consumers, donor organizations and others to propel policies and markets toward the highest-quality, lowest resource-intensive appliances possible.
CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since our inception in 1999. CLASP is headquartered in Washington, DC, with teams in Europe, Kenya, India, China, and Indonesia. We are mission- driven and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, collaboration, and impactful work. See our Team Page to learn more about us.
CLASP seeks a Digital Media Intern to support the communications team on all digital channels, in particular our Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn presence, analytics, contacts management (Zoho CRM), and website maintenance.
This intern will report to our Communications Coordinator and work closely with the Chief of Communications, Chief of Staff, and broader communications team on key functions, and work collaboratively with CLASP team members in the United States, Kenya, India, Europe, and elsewhere.
The ideal candidate will have experience communicating for the climate, renewable energy, and/or international development sectors. A high degree of organization, experience implementing a process, knowledge of digital tools, and experience using a contacts management software (contacts database) is necessary. High-quality writing and storytelling skills are essential for success in this role, as well as understanding and conveying complex topics. Experience with website content management systems (back ends, CMS), in graphic design, data visualizations, and other software will also be important. The candidate will have an eye for process and collaboration as they inform results, good judgement, and be poised, discrete, and intrinsically motivated.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Social Media Channels
- LinkedIn: In line with the CLASP brand, increase CLASP’s LinkedIn presence and engagement. Work closely with the communications team to develop and plan content. Improve the description and imagery of CLASP on LinkedIn.
- Twitter: Improve the visual collateral of CLASP’s Twitter and maintain language & style in accordance with our brand. Support content updates and scheduling as needed, and integrate new photography and videos into CLASP’s twitter feed.
- YouTube: Develop a plan for regularly communicating about our videos via other social media channels. Continue uploads to channel and other regular platform maintenance.
- Photography: Support the expansion of our photography library, collecting visuals that center people and appliances. Use subscription services or free outlets such as Shutterstock, Creative Commons, UnSplash, Climate Visuals, etc. Confirm permissions; label and organize the photography for ease of use.
- Media Tracking: Update and maintain mentions of CLASP in media.
- Contacts management: Improve the process by where CLASP updates its contacts management system, Zoho. Work with program teams to integrate new contacts and update and tag existing ones. Help us segment newsletters going forward. Engage with subcontractors as needed.
- Website: Work with the communications team to support content upload and tagging on the CLASP website. Provide support in updating and organizing written content, finding appropriate photography and other updates as needed.
- Analytics: Support the maintenance and updating of a monthly dashboard of communications team activities and metrics, drawing from Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google Analytics, Zoho Campaigns, etc.
- CLASP Brand: Support the communications team in aligning outputs with the CLASP brand. This will include supporting program outputs (i.e. reports and presentations) in advanced formatting and language guidance.
- Editorial Calendar: Work with the communications team to maintain the editorial calendar and find opportunities for digital outreach (e.g. events, International days, COP26, etc.)
- Newsletter: Support formatting for bi-monthly newsletters through Zoho Campaigns. Qualifications and Competencies
Qualifications and Competencies
- 1-2 years professional or intern experience supporting communications, digital media, and/or administrative support in a research, non-profit, advocacy or academic environment.
- Experience in climate, energy access, renewable energy and/or international development sectors preferred.
- Working toward completion of or completed a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., international relations, communications, environmental management, marketing and/or English language and literature with focus / experience in any of the above) preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to develop a process through conversation and iteration and communicate it effectively.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; exceptional written and spoken English a must.
- International experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with and through others to achieve results.
- Demonstrated experience and success working remotely.
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills.
The internship will be paid at a rate of $22 per hour, before taxes. Class credit may be available and will be provided in accordance with your university’s policy. Due to COVID-19, the CLASP team is currently working from home and this position will also be remote for the time being.
Internships are typically 1-2 semesters in length; the end date is flexible and can be extended based on need and availability.
While full-time internships are preferred, this position is also open for part-time applicants (20 hours per week at a minimum). Therefore, applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. In your cover letter, please indicate your availability (hours/week) and timeframe (start/end dates).
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter via email. Please direct all applications and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.Please make the subject line of your email “Digital Media Intern [Your Name]”, for example: Digital Media Intern John Smith.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. CLASP complies with all federal, state and local employment law in the countries we operate and is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, military or protected veteran status, credit information or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each person is evaluated based on personal skill and merit. CLASP’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, job assignments, promotions, working conditions, scheduling, benefits, wage and salary administration, disciplinary action, termination, and social, educational and recreational programs.