Internship Digital Communications Internship
Digital Communications Internship
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
Internship Program: The goal of our internship program is to provide a high-quality learning experience that helps to form the foundation for a career in the climate change or environmental movement for a diverse group of individuals seeking hands-on work experience in the field.
We offer paid internships in three cycles (spring, summer, fall) that align to typical college semesters. Each cycle runs for approximately 10-15 weeks. We ask for a 15-20 hour minimum commitment per week. Interns will be allowed to work a maximum of 30 hours per week. The internship opportunities are in a variety of programs and departments that will vary from cycle to cycle. Every Climate Reality intern is assigned a mentor who works closely with them to help navigate the organization, create overall objectives, and oversee their work plan.
Interns will be paid $15.20 per hour and will be provided a Climate Reality laptop to use during their internship.
Our Washington, DC office is presently closed due to the COVID-19 health emergency. Therefore, we will accept remote interns who work/reside in the following states for the summer 2022 cycle: CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NC, NY, NV, OR, PA, TN, TX and VA.
Successful applicants must be at least 18 years of age and will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States. Students and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply.
Department Overview: We’re seeking a highly motivated intern to assist in engaging the public about implementing bold climate and clean energy policies through our digital platforms. This intern will be a key member of our digital team, helping launch innovative web, video, email, SMS, and social media campaigns; grow our social media following across multiple platforms; recruit new online activists; educate our supporter base on the latest climate change developments; and mobilize our membership to take meaningful online and offline action.
Our interns have done everything from writing blog posts, to creating graphics seen by tens of thousands of people, to engaging high-profile experts in online conversations, to answering serious questions that our followers have about the science of climate change, to writing e-books and emails containing tips for talking about climate change. We work closely with our interns to fit their strengths with the desired skills they need to build relevant experience for their future careers.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
• Help draft essential communications pieces, including website copy, emails, newsletters, e-books, blog posts, and more.
• Work with the team to write well-researched and engaging emails, advocacy campaign content, landing pages, spotlights on our Climate Reality Leaders, blogs, and other content created to inspire our audience to act on climate change.
• Build email and SMS campaigns using EveryAction with relevant audience segmentation.
• Work with the social team to brainstorm and create exciting and shareable social media graphics.
• Work with engagement communications manager on engagement communications materials and provide support on duties as assigned.
• Monitor online feedback from members, respond as needed, and route questions and concerns to the appropriate department.
• Ability to work effectively within a remote team structure.
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized.
• Strong writing and analytical skills.
• Solid research skills.
• Commitment to environmental justice and/or racial justice.
• Attention to detail and excellent communication skills.
• Ability to anticipate needs and creativity to trouble shoot.
• Familiarity with the social media universe including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, blogs, etc.
• Ability and interest in working across teams.
• Experience with Microsoft Office, Canva or other design software.
• Interest in Drupal, WordPress, or other blogging platforms.
• Interest in Google Analytics and data analysis.
• Interest in HTML and CSS.
How to Apply
- To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references with name, relationship, and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use this subject line: Digital Communications Intern. Also, let us know in your email with your submission the job site or other source where you found our posting.
- The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social, and recreational activities and termination.