Full-Time Digital Communications Campaigner
This is a remote position. Eligible candidates must be authorized to work in their country of residence; Eastern Standard Time strongly preferred as this position supports campaigns from North America’s West Coast to Europe. Other time zones may be considered if the candidate has a flexible schedule.
Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range is $77k – $85k if the position is located in the United States and 80k – 85k CAD if located in Canada. If the successful candidate is outside of the United States or Canada, the salary will be adjusted based on local market equivalencies.
Overtime Status: exempt
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With affiliated programs and staff in Europe and Australia, we have developed a unique model of grant making and campaigning that supports networks of organizations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organizational culture and we’re serious about supporting our people to thrive. We move fast and lean into the urgency of the climate challenge.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We strongly encourage First Nations people, people of color, and people with disabilities to apply. We are continually working on becoming a better workplace for everyone.
You’re an experienced digital and social media expert and content creator with experience or interest in campaigning on fossil fuel finance. You have a knack for telling simple, powerful stories that synthesize complex issues and inspire people to take action.
You enjoy coming up with innovative online ideas to engage people and shift narrative. While you’re skilled at developing big picture strategy, you also enjoy the nitty gritty of implementation, using various digital tools to communicate how and where most people can affect change. You have a strong working knowledge of social media platforms and analytics, along with a creative eye for organic growth. You’re a team player with the ability to work effectively across multiple time zones within a coalition environment to support diverse partner groups and maximize our collective work. You’re passionate about solving the climate crisis and winning campaigns. You’re excited to be part of a dedicated team working at the intersection of finance and climate and supporting social and climate justice movements to create real change.
About The Role
The Digital Communications Campaigner:
Supports the Insure Our Future network, which holds the insurance industry accountable for their role in the climate crisis.
Supports key campaign moments for the insurance team and manages Insure Our Future’s digital and social channels. This includes implementing an audience engagement strategy that utilizes organic and paid promotion to reach employees in the insurance industry as well as other key audiences. You will be responsible for helping grow our online presence on all of our social media platforms through content creation, and for implementing paid ads on social media platforms to reach our key targets.
Supports coalition partners in order to maximize our collective efforts. We support networks of organizations to work together to achieve outcomes that would not be possible by individual organizations acting alone. We expect all roles at Sunrise to actively support the capacity building of these networks and partner organizations.
Supports campaigns across our global network with the majority of support going to campaigns in North America and Europe. This position therefore requires a flexible schedule that can work across different time zones.
Manage Insure Our Future social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook); website; and newsletter
- Identify the target audiences and channels which are best suited for our campaign messages, and implement strategies to reach them
- Create (or hire and oversee consultants to create) impactful communications materials for social and digital media, including blogs, short videos, infographics, and other visual assets
- Write copy for social media posts and frame content for different platforms based on audience and tone
- Organize and maintain A/B testing programs and use digital metrics to assess which content is performing best in any given campaign or A/B test
- Update content on the IOF websites as needed
Manage, implement, and report on a paid advertising strategy to target insurance companies
- Work with the team and partner organizations to implement a paid advertising strategy through social media platforms (especially LinkedIn and Twitter) and search engines (especially Google) to reach insurance company employees
- Report back on key learning to maximize ad performance and identify messaging that resonates with insurance industry employees to inform our broader engagement strategy
Develop, implement and report on digital campaign tactics to amplify key moments in the Insure Our Future campaign
- Organize and amplify digital tactics for key campaign moments (online and offline actions, report launches, etc) so as to maximize reach within our partner network and the wider climate movement
- Identify and make the most of campaign communication moments, including leveraging breaking news online across various platforms
- Track and analyze digital metrics to measure success and identify key lessons from campaigns and projects, including through Google tags and analytics, and use those metrics to strengthen our digital communications
- Manage and post search engine optimized content on the IOF websites and promote key pieces of content and campaign moments across the network
Support the broader Insure Our Future Coalition and The Sunrise Project
- Coordinate with network partners to build and amplify strategic digital moments through our networks and the wider climate movement
- Provide digital communications materials and support for core partners who lead on campaigns for key targets
- Collaborate with other Digital Campaigners on our global finance team as needed
Required skills and experience
- 4-5 years’ experience in digital and social media
- Strong experience running social media channels and campaigns, particularly on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, including audience mapping, creating and distributing content, scheduling posts, building followers, and assessing impact; experience with Hootsuite preferred
- Strong digital advertising experience, particularly on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Google
- Experience creating (or overseeing consultants in the creation of) videos, graphics, and reports
- Solid writing and editing skills with experience writing for digital applications
- Experience with website content management systems like WordPress and performing SEO
- An eye for design and ideally experience with content creation tools like Canva
- Ability to work collaboratively within coalitions to deliver integrated campaigns using a range of digital platforms
- Good project and time management skills
- A passion for action on climate change and a commitment to social justice
- You must have full working rights for your country of residence
If you meet some but not all of the criteria for this position, are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch. We value and recognize experience that has been unpaid, from the grassroots, or is lived experience.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience working on (or a strong understanding of) climate and finance; insurance sector-specific knowledge a welcome bonus
- Experience creating videos, graphics, and report layouts, e.g. through Photoshop or InDesign
- Experience training and mentoring others in digital campaigning
- Experience with newsletter platforms, particularly MailChimp
How Sunrise supports its staff:
The Sunrise Project is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- 401(k) & employer match (in the US)
- 100% employer paid health, vision and dental coverage (in the US)
- At least four weeks of vacation leave
- Birthday leave (if it’s your birthday, you get a day off)
- Cultural leave
- 12 weeks parental leave after 12 months of service
- Commitment to supporting your professional development
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities
- Flexible work policy
- You can read more about how we support our staff on our jobs page
Statement from our US Fiscal Sponsor Windward Fund
Sunrise US is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
How to Apply
- In our commitment to inclusive hiring of the best candidates, we use the Be Applied hiring system to process applications. Start your application by clicking here. The application window will close on July 16th, 2021 at 11:59 EST.
- The Be Applied system reduces the opportunity for unconscious bias in allowing for anonymized reviews of responses to work sample questions. This means we assess candidates on how well they strategize and communicate on relevant work samples. You will be required to upload a CV or resume and will be asked several questions that will be related to the role you are applying for. There is no requirement to submit a cover letter.