Full-Time Development Associate – Annual Fund
The Wetlands Initiative (TWI) envisions a world with plentiful healthy wetlands improving water quality, climate, biodiversity, and human well-being. To make that vision a reality, TWI restores wetland ecosystems in rural, suburban, and urban areas. You can learn more about our mission and projects here: https://tinyurl.com/TWI25
The Wetlands Initiative seeks a Development Associate who is passionate about the environment and interested in using their fundraising skills on behalf of a rapidly growing nonprofit. The Development Associate will be part of a small, collaborative fundraising and communications team that supports TWI’s regional ecological restoration projects. This full-time position with benefits will focus on increasing the number of donors who contribute to the annual fund, to support the already-growing portfolio of restoration projects. Activities to increase the number of annual fund donors will be reinforced by TWI’s first-ever brand awareness campaign, launching in 2022.
The ideal candidate will have 2+ years’ professional experience in fundraising as well as an engaging personality for interactions with colleagues, donors, and prospects. He/she should be highly skilled at multitasking and managing priorities independently; have strong computer skills including familiarity with donor database software; possess strong communications skills both verbal and written; and demonstrate consistent and close attention to detail.
These functions will be carried out mostly during normal office hours and mostly at our downtown Chicago office, but some regional travel and evening/weekend hours will be required, especially for special events. As the Wetlands Initiative has a small staff and an “all hands on deck” culture where all employees pitch in during major events and initiatives, flexibility and adaptability are key to the position. The Development Associate will report to the Director of Development and Communications.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage execution of targeted and mass mailings to donors and prospects.
- Build and maintain donor relationships with those contributing through workplace-giving programs or third-party portals such as Network for Good.
- Assist with fundraising and volunteer events, including at project sites.
- Consistently and promptly complete a thank you sequence for all new donors and annual fund donors.
- Perform donor research; build and continuously refresh prospect lists.
- Maintain and update the fundraising database and donor files; generate reports from the database.
- Provide communications and logistics support for the board of directors and its committees and meetings.
- Perform regular reviews of giving activity with accounting staff.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development and Communications.
- A bachelor’s or associate’s degree, preferably in liberal arts or the humanities.
- At least 2 years’ full-time professional experience in nonprofit fundraising.
- Passion for conservation and the environment.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Solid organizational skills, and user skills with office software including word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and willingness to work in TWI’s downtown Chicago office. (In-office COVID-safety protocols are currently in place and are regularly updated in accordance with public-health guidance.)
This is a full-time position with full benefits including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, and paid vacation, sick, and personal days. Starting salary range is mid-$50,000s with potential for salary increase after 3 months, as well as significant professional growth over time within the organization.
The Wetlands Initiative is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or marital status.