Full-Time Development Associate
Join SELC’s professional, fast-paced development office and be right in the thick of everything. The Development Associate position is a central hub whose purpose is to provide all-around support for SELC’s development team. This is a great opportunity to learn a lot while putting your energy and talents to work protecting the South’s environment and health at a critical time.
This is a full-time position based in SELC’s Charlottesville headquarters office. The position is supervised by the Director of Advancement, but provides direct assistance to all members of the Development leadership team (Director of Advancement, Director of Development, Operations, and Director of Development, Philanthropy). With supervisor’s guidance about overall priorities and goals, the Development Associate will work closely with other fundraising colleagues, and take project assignments and instruction from them, as well.
The Development Associate will provide assistance to the development office as a whole, including, but not limited to:
- Assistant for the Director of Advancement: provides travel planning and “lifeline” support; schedules meetings and handles related preparation and clean-up; and assists with filing and organization of materials
- Periodic assistance to the Executive Director as needed
- Coordinating development hiring, including advertising and scheduling
- Arranging Development budget preparation, tracking, and reconciliation
- Processing invoices for events, travel, and other development related expenses
- Managing Outlook calendars and scheduling Zoom, conference call, and in-person meetings (including related preparation, cleanup, and follow-up)
- Arranging travel (flights, hotels, and rental vehicles)
- Acting as point of contact for consultants and trainers including renting spaces, coordinating schedules and meals, and other logistics
- Ensuring Development suites remain organized and running efficiently, through physical plant and office management and maintenance: maintaining third floor kitchen, bathroom, and office supply inventories; coordinating office equipment; and other duties as needed
- Running errands and other legwork and logistics
The Development Associate works closely with the Information Systems team:
- Writing personal thank you notes to donors
- Assisting with large in-house mailings
- Assisting with list harvesting
- Assisting with tax acknowledgment mailings as needed, but primarily during year-end
- Providing backup address update assistance
In addition, the Development Associate provides assistance with special events:
- Providing backup assistance for RSVP tracking and preparation and shipment of materials in advance of meetings
- Traveling throughout our six states in order to provide assistance at events
- Assisting with execution of board meetings as needed
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; you engage in ongoing personal learning and are eager to contribute to our organizational efforts to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Minimum two years relevant experience
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite and overall comfort learning new technologies
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Strong people skills and a high level of comfort with direct interactions, both in person and by phone
- A collaborative attitude and comfort level with back-and-forth interaction and feedback to produce top-quality results
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Organization and time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects, keep track of short- and long-term priorities, and meet deadlines dependably
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally, and provides an excellent benefits package. For more details, please visit our Careers page.
With nine offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Birmingham, AL; Nashville, TN; Asheville, NC; and Richmond, VA), SELC is widely recognized as the South’s foremost environmental leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect the South’s natural resources and the health and well-being of its people. Although its regional focus is the Southeast, much of its work is national in scope and impact.
SELC works in Congress and state legislatures to inform environmental laws; in regulatory agencies to implement environmental laws and policies; and in the courts to enforce the law, stop the worst abuses, and set important precedents. The organization works collaboratively with more than 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve common conservation goals. It currently has a staff of more than 130 individuals, with 80 attorneys, including some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields. Additional information is available at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
- To Apply: To apply, click here to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. Interested persons should apply immediately. The initial deadline for receipt of complete applications is June 18, 2021. However, applications are being accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from persons of all backgrounds.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405