Full-Time Development Associate
Beyond Plastics is seeking an experienced, smart, and talented Development Associate to join our growing team. The Development Associate will play an integral role in meeting Beyond Plastics’ increasingly ambitious annual fundraising goals.This position will work closely with the President, Deputy Director, and Digital Director to grow and manage the fundraising program by developing and implementing annual and long-term fundraising strategies, focusing primarily on foundation grant writing and reporting, large donor cultivation and solicitations, and research and prospecting of foundations and large donors for new funding opportunities.
The Development Associate reports to the Deputy Director and works closely with the President and Digital Director to meet fundraising goals.
ABOUT BEYOND PLASTICS:
Beyond Plastics mission is to end the global crisis of plastic pollution. We are a catalyst for action on policies that reduce plastic production and use, promote alternatives, and require companies to take responsibility for their waste.
Beyond Plastics was founded by Judith Enck, a high-profile environmental policy expert and dynamic community leader. She began her career as an environmental advocate and has held top influential positions in state and federal government, including as Regional Administrator at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, appointed by President Obama, and as the Deputy Secretary for the Environment for two New York State Governors. After working on waste issues for more than 30 years, she saw the need to help strengthen this new plastic pollution movement and support advocacy efforts.
We are a growing organization with a passionate, collaborative, and dedicated staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Deputy Director and Digital Director to develop and implement a development plan for Beyond Plastics to increase revenue through foundation grants, major gifts, and individual giving. There will be an emphasis on identifying and securing new funding sources.
- Create calendar of fundraising activities for staff and Advisory Board.
- Foster a fundraising culture throughout the organization.
- Work with Deputy Director to forecast income and manage development budget.
- Identify and secure new sources of foundation funding.
- Coordinate with development staff to ensure streamlined solicitations and acknowledgements.
- Manage foundation grant prospecting and submissions.
- Manage Beyond Plastics’ current and prospective major donor portfolio through actively cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding each to increase engagement and investment.
- Expand base of mid-level donors and employ cultivation strategies to increase donor commitments and meet increasing annual fundraising goals.
- Ensure donor records are maintained and accurate.
- Create periodic reports for leadership team and Advisory Board.
- Plan and execute periodic donor engagement events.
- Write persuasive letters, reports and other materials used to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and also keep donors informed of developments in Beyond Plastics’ campaigns.
- Work closely with the Digital Director who is responsible for the digital aspects of fundraising activities, including overall maintenance of the donor database, online fundraising, donor acknowledgement/gift entry, and tracking donor actions.
- Work with development staff on acknowledgements, reporting, and donor record maintenance.
- Strategically engage and support the President with donor outreach, major donor portfolio, events, and other fundraising activities.
- Work with President and Deputy Director to identify a range of institutional and individual donors and fundraising opportunities.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, regular development meetings, and Advisory Board meetings.
- As a valued member of the team, provide input and new ideas to the overall direction of the work.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of three years non-profit fundraising experience
- Demonstrated success meeting annual fundraising goals in excess of $250,000 and ability to secure major gifts greater than $1000.
- A strong interest in ending plastic pollution and a commitment to the goals of Beyond Plastics.
- A demonstrated commitment to social equity and racial justice and an eagerness to understand how these issues play out in communities impacted by plastic pollution.
- Self- starter and ability to work independently.
- Experience managing aspects of a donor program, preferably for an advocacy focused non-profit organization.
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan 12 months in advance, as well as work collaboratively to implement a plan to meet fundraising goals.
- Experience with fundraising software and tools, and proficiency with general computer software including Google Docs, Zoom, and database programs.
- Experience managing foundation fundraising and writing grant proposals.
- Demonstrated success securing new foundation funding.
In addition to these qualifications, the ideal candidate will be innovative, flexible, organized, and strategic, and bring a collaborative, inclusive approach to staff interactions. It is critical that the Development Associate be able to quickly absorb and gain a strong command of Beyond Plastics’ campaigns, projects, and priorities and articulate them with supporters. This position requires a highly organized self-starter that is comfortable working remotely with a fast-paced team. Projecting a professional presence and conducting relationships in an ethical manner with a high degree of tact, sensitivity, confidentiality and respect is a must. A positive attitude and a sense of humor are essential.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT, EQUITY AND INCLUSION:
Beyond Plastics is committed to providing an inclusive environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, political affiliation, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Furthermore, Beyond Plastics believes that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success as an advocacy organization working to end plastic pollution everywhere. Beyond Plastics’ seeks to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool, and foster an inclusive environment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
This is a full time position. Starting salary is $80,000 with benefits.
How to ApplyTO APPLY:
- Please email a resume and cover letter no more than one page in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE in the subject line of the email and address the cover letter to Jennifer Congdon, Deputy Director.
- Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and the position is open until filled.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405