Full-Time Design and Building Performance Associate
About the Position: Taking direction from the Vice President Design & Building Performance, the DBPA will be assigned a variety of tasks which center on driving design and construction standards throughout the organization and assisting with construction activities. Depending on qualifications of candidate the position level will be determined.
Assignments may include the following representative examples:
- Support the Vice President of Design and Building Performance to provide expert architectural and construction services to maintain our current and emerging portfolio
- Assist with development of the scope of work for each project with retained professionals and general contractors, and staff at POAH/POAHC
- Complete the Energy Green Communities checklist (or alternative green certification) in collaboration with Development or Asset Management Project Manager for every rehab project and incorporate checklist items in rehab scope and help drive actual certification where applicable
- Develop and Maintain the POAH Basis of Design (specifications) which will be a part of and support POAH’s overall branding strategy and initiatives
- Review of drawings, specifications, and key submittals for conformance with POAH quality/product/specifications standards and energy and water efficiency
- Focus on the existing portfolio and how POAH through design and construction can continue to develop and manage high quality affordable housing
- Assist POAH and POAHC staff as they do long-term capital planning for POAH’s portfolio
- Assist the VPDBP, POAH’s internal subject matter expert and advisor, for design and construction projects of scale or complexity undertaken by development, asset management, energy management, or property management staff
- Coordinate and suggest products for HPN select to procure on our behalf and track POAHC purchasing from the HPN vendors that are represented in the POAH BOD
- Assist development project managers when needed to provide design consultation and construction administration which may include engaging energy consultants and covering select weekly meetings, doing site visits to inform designs around POAHCs needs, energy efficiency, aesthetics, health and safety of residents, and quality control
- Coordinate the transition between a completed development project to the Asset Management department and POAHC, POAH’s property management company
- Coordinate the installation of property signage across POAH’s portfolio
- Collect and maintain portfolio data / information / documentation for the POAH database (PI)
- Work collaboratively with property management particularly during Asset Management related projects
- Communicate frequently and candidly with colleagues and retained professionals for successful outcomes
- Demonstrate strong written, verbal and visual presentation skills
- Provide expert and easy to understand technical advice to all staff members involving: architectural plans, specifications and scope of work in particular
- Inform the Vice President Design & Building Performance of work process issues, industry trends and ideas to make POAH more effective as a real estate developer/ owner/operator
- Seek out forums to increase your affordable housing and energy and water efficiency knowledge.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Vice President of Design & Building Performance.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum three (3) years construction administration experience (focus on residential renovations or construction a plus) and/or,
- Minimum three (3) years design experience (focus on housing a plus)\
- Knowledge of and experience with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, or other graphic design programs.
- A professional with excellent judgment and intuitive interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in analysis of energy and cost data as it relates to building operations
- Ability to read design and construction drawings
- Knowledge of architectural, structural and MEP systems
- Knowledge of energy and water efficient design
- Construction/field experience
- Excellent communications skills – written and verbal (proficiency in Illustrator or other graphic software considered a plus)
- An entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and results-oriented individual
Other Desired Qualifications:
- Direct equivalent experience with a national real estate firm.
- Degree in one of the following disciplines is preferred: Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, other related fields, or experience
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision life and disability insurances, generous paid time off, professional development budget for every employee, parental leave, and 401k with company match.
About POAH: Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support economic security, racial equity and access to opportunity for all. POAH owns and operates more than 12,000 affordable homes at more than 120 properties in 11 states and the District of Columbia. POAH is based in Boston with offices in Chicago and Washington D.C.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation is the result of a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of at-risk properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform, including energy efficiency in the multifamily sector.
The POAH team is dedicated, creative and passionate. We believe a diverse and inclusive team is a stronger, smarter team, and we actively promote diversity and meaningful inclusion of different perspectives among our board, our staff, our partners, in our procurement of good and services, and at our communities. We understand that addressing structural racism and achieving racial equity are central to the work we do and we proactively integrate the issue of race in our housing work.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workforce.
How to Apply
- For more information about POAH, and to apply, applicants can visit: https://www.poah.org/about/we-develop-and-value-our-team. The direct link to apply is here.
- Applicants must include cover letter and resume. Examples of graphics or design work also accepted.