Full-Time Denver Green Code Plans Review Engineer – Community Planning and Development
About Our Job
City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A for additional information.
The City and County of Denver’s Community Planning and Development Department (CPD) is seeking a creative and adaptable Denver Green Code Plans Review Engineer to be part of our committed team of Architectural and Engineering professionals.
This is a limited position with an expected end date of 12/31/2026.
At Community Planning and Development, we envision, enable, and ensure a better Denver. Denver’s Community Planning and Development Department is responsible for visionary city planning and ensuring that all buildings are safe. Community Planning and Development plays a role in growing our world-class city, while keeping its beloved features intact. From the skyscrapers of the Central Business District; to the walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods of Central Park; to the charming Victorian effects of the Baker district, the staff at Community Planning and Development works to make Denver a great place to live, work and play. The department’s three primary functions are planning, permitting and inspections. Learn more about how we’re “BUILDING COMMUNITY” at www.DenverGov.org/CPD .
Interested? At the City and County of Denver and CPD you can apply your expertise and contribute directly to the community. Please review the required qualifications and submit your application/resume for consideration by clicking the ‘Apply’ button at the top of this posting and/or visit our job center.
In this role, you will bring your creativity and ingenuity to help move Denver’s mission to create a more sustainable and healthier city forward. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a city that is leading in addressing mitigation and adaptation to impacts of climate change.
Key responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and providing input on Denver Green Code compliance for both commercial and residential projects
- Conducting review of both basic and highly complex construction project plans for adherence to requirements of Denver Green Code provisions
- Assisting with updates to the Denver Green Code to advance development throughout the city in alignment with community goals
- Serving as the subject matter expert on the Denver Green Code for internal staff, community members, and external partners
- Engaging with Denver communities to solicit input, address concerns, and implement initiatives that meet the needs of all communities
- Collaborating across multiple trades, disciplines, and City agencies to set review protocols for architectural, landscape, mechanical, and electrical aspects of buildings and sites
- Participating in the administration and monitoring of a diverse array of residential and commercial projects involving the new construction of and/or renovation of buildings, facilities and sites
- Creating policies as they relate to Denver Green Code
- Training the Plans Review and Inspections teams on Denver Green Code compliance and updates
- Other duties as assigned
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Architecture with a focus on sustainable design
- Ten (10) years of direct design experience and project delivery experience with a wide variety of buildings (multi-family residential, commercial, and residential). Able to demonstrate familiarity with sustainable design practices in both design and construction. LEED AP preferred
- Knowledgeable about holistic approaches to sustainable community development (for example: regenerative development principles)
- Familiarity with a variety of high performance building project and/or building development occupant health standards [for example: International Green Construction Code (IgCC), Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) suite of standards, International Living Future Institute (ILFI) suite of standards, RELi, National Green Building Standard (NGBS), Enterprise Green Communities (EGC), WELL, Passive House Institute US (PHIUS), TRUE]
- Ability to work effectively across teams and disciplines to establish and meet common goals
- Experience conducting public outreach and implementing new initiatives
- Ability to work well under pressure and to adapt quickly and efficiently as needed
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field as required by the specific opening
- Experience: Three (3) years of professional engineering work experience after obtaining a Professional Engineering (PE) license. OR three (3) years of professional architecture experience after obtaining an Architect license. (Some positions may require experience in a specific engineering area)
- Licensures/Certification(s): Requires a valid Driver’s License at the time of application. Requires registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by the Colorado State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers at the time of application. Or requires registration as an Architect by the Colorado State Board of Registration at the time of application. Registration in another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement, provided that the applicant has Colorado registration at completion of probation. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
- Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements
To be considered for this position, you must include the following on your job application (upload the attachments to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in this position, and how your experience and background would make you an excellent candidate for this position
How to ApplyPlease apply online via this link
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405