Full-Time Data Engineer – Remote
Global Energy Monitor is seeking an experienced Data Engineer to assist with any tasks the Data Team is carrying out, as agreed to with the Data Director. Tasks can include work for GEM as an organization, or for particular projects/teams, and involve how GEM handles, analyzes, integrates, and publishes data.
According to the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC), we have less than a decade to make massive and unprecedented changes in the global economy to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. To meet that challenge, Global Energy Monitor is creating trackers and other tools to provide detailed information on energy facilities, sponsors, and financing.
About Global Energy Monitor
Global Energy Monitor (GEM) is a network of researchers developing information for the worldwide climate and clean energy movement. Since the organization’s founding in 2007, GEM’s research has become an essential tool for activists, journalists, policymakers, and scientists. GEM’s data and reports are used and cited by organizations ranging from Greenpeace to The Wall Street Journal. GEM’s information is used by Bloomberg Terminals, the International Energy Agency, the IPCC, Climate Analytics, Carbon Tracker Initiative, and hundreds of others.
Note: GEM does not have a central office; instead, GEM works with employees to create suitable home offices catered to the needs of their role. Remote staff need not be based in the United States.
Position Summary and Duties
Day-to-day support for trackers:
- Automation of processes: Develop and maintain processes for automating work, including ingestion of external data sets and updating of wiki pages.
- Quality control: Support trackers with data QC steps, implementing new steps and running code to find problems.
- Data analysis: Perform analyses to support reports, grant applications, and media queries. Analyses are based on GEM’s tracker data, web traffic on GEM websites, and other data within GEM or available externally.
Support for tracker updates:
- Online maps: Compile data and coordinate with an external contractor as needed; assist with exploring improvements to the maps
- Dashboards: Build and maintain dashboards using open-source tools such as Dash (by Plotly), including compiling data into the needed format.
- Download files: Compile data, upload the data to GEM’s website, update online forms
- Summary data tables: Compile summary data and/or files (as needed)
- Data migration: The Data Engineer will work with the Data Team, Project Managers, and Program Directors to assist in migrating data into GEM’s PostgreSQL database, including performing cleaning and validation steps.
- Database enhancement: The Data Engineer will assist with writing code to improve the functionality of the database, including allowing the database to serve up data for other GEM data products, including online maps, summary tables, wiki pages, and dashboards.
- Quality control: Help devise and implement new data QC checks in the database.
Support GEM’s data handling and analysis:
- GitHub: Help manage GEM’s GitHub account, which includes repositories for various teams/projects.
- Documentation: Assist in work with the Program Directors and Project Managers to improve internal and public-facing documentation of GEM’s data practices.
- Training: Encourage teams to use best practices in their code, and help train others at GEM on these practices. Help support others at GEM who are learning to code, by helping answer questions, review code, gather resources, and do training sessions
Education & Experience
Applicants who tailor their resume and cover letter to these requirements will be prioritized.
The following experience and skills are required for this position:
- 3+ years experience with programming
The following experience and skills are desired for this position:
- Attention to detail.
- Scrupulous adherence to documented fact.
- Strong Python skills (in particular object-oriented programming).
- Proficiency with data visualization.
- Proficiency in working with tabular data (for example using Pandas or SQL).
- Commitment to social and environmental justice.
- Familiarity with international environmental campaigns.
- Knowledge of the following areas: climate change; fossil fuel extraction, transportation, and utilization; and the environmental and social impacts of fossil energy development.
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week, work-from-home position. The salary is $90,843 for locations in the United States. Salary and benefits differ for those based outside of the US and may be discussed on an individual basis.
Benefits include (US Based Employees):
- 100% paid health, vision, dental insurance for employee & contribution towards dependent coverage
- Long-term disability and worker’s compensation insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with 5% employer match
- 4 weeks paid vacation, plus 18 holidays, 10 sick leave days, and other leave
- Location-based remote work stipend
- Home office set up & ergonomics reimbursement
- Paid 12-week sabbatical leave after five years
- Paid parental leave
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and this listing will remain open until filled. Applicants must provide a resume and a cover letter.
Equal Employment: Global Energy Monitor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment determinations at GEM are based exclusively on the needs of the organization, specific job requirements, and a candidate’s individual qualifications. These determinations are made without regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, physical, mental, and/or sensory disability, sex, orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, medical history, or military service. GEM is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Accommodations: We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]
***Please be sure to add [email protected] to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.***