Full-Time Data Director
The Stichting Funder Forum is seeking a highly motivated and proactive individual in the area of data analysis as Data Director. This is a new role to join the SFF Executive Board. The Data Director will lead the formation and plan the work programme of the philanthropic grant-making and real world tracker data formation.
The position requires a person with strong analytical and research skills, the ability to think strategically, as well as effective communications skills. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to grasp technical issues, analyse different policy scenarios (especially energy, oil and gas, and climate scenarios) and translate them into simple strategic recommendations.
Roles and Responsibilities
In-house data stewardship & analysis:
- Develop the SFF in-house data analysis capabilities and perform sound research and analysis, including production of original material based on robust evidence.
- Analysis of annual philanthropic grant-making focused on energy transition and ensure alignment of analyses with other funder networks tracking grant-making data.
- Annual collection, collating, analysis and presentation of community funding data, along with ad-hoc requests for deep dive analysis from the wider community.
- Contribute to global strategies to reduce climate emissions based on sound research and analysis.
Real world tracker data
- Develop a centrally consolidated dashboard tracking real-world metrics, to provide an overview of the state of energy transition, with the aim of informing grantmakers and civil society. This will include consolidating many individual tracking approaches across a range of metrics.
- Address the issue of multiple taxonomies (leading to varying conclusions and strategies) while also identifying key indicator gaps.
Build and maintain relationships with key philanthropic and strategy development partners, along with key civil society actors:
- Build deep relationships with key actors to cultivate common ownership of strategies & approaches to energy transition.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience working on technical issues in the environmental or energy sectors, a research institution or similar.
- Have strong analytical skills, an excellent knowledge of Excel (experience in database management, data analysis).
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as good communication and presentation skills.
- The ability to write in English fluently, accurately and concisely.
- The confidence to think and act with initiative and to independently identify research opportunities that would clearly support SFF’s mission.
- The capacity to creatively find solutions to complex quantitative research questions where there is an apparent lack of data.
- The ability to critically analyse documents, models and projects performed by others, extracting main conclusions, research assumptions and political implications.
- Project management experience and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines and to successfully follow projects performed by third parties (mostly consultants).
Preferred, but not required:
- Deep knowledge of energy systems, climate change, fossil fuels, and gas in particular.
- Experience with a range of energy-related data sources including experience with subscription databases & analytical tools.
- Experience managing people and / or leading teams.
Diversity, equity, and inclusivity will be central to the work of the Stichting Funder Forum; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
How to ApplyFor all applications please send your CV and a completed application form (see below). Please indicate in the email title: Data Director Application. Cécile Toubeau, Executive Director, email@example.com
Application form to be submitted along with CV:
- How many years of relevant experience do you have, as it relates to this role?
- What’s your story and relevant experience? (100-200 words)
- What excites or motivates you about this mission and role? (100-200 words)
- What skills would you bring to this role? (100-200 words)
- What values and culture do you hope to see in the organisation that hires you?
- LinkedIn or bio link
- Country of residence
- City / town address
- Nationality / Citizenship(s)
- Are you authorised to work in your current country?
- When are you available to start?
- This is a full time position, with flexible hours for the right candidate. How many hours per week can you work?
- What are your salary range expectations?
- References (min. 2)