Location: This role can be based in either Greentown’s Headquarters in Somerville, MA or in their new office in Houston, TX.
At Greentown Labs, we see with clear eyes the universal challenge that climate change poses. Founded by entrepreneurs, we are a climatetech incubator bringing together startups, corporations, investors, politicians, and many others to shape the best future. We believe each solution becomes greater when combined with others in a community of changemakers who are driven by the possibilities to power the climatetech revolution.
Since 2011, Greentown Labs has steadily grown from an initial lab in Cambridge, to a 100,000 square foot campus in Somerville, and a newly opened 40,000 square foot facility in Houston, Texas. Our mission is to foster a passionate community of entrepreneurs committed to solving the world’s biggest climate and environmental challenges by providing the resources and labs they need to succeed. We are equally committed to building an equitable and inclusive climatetech ecosystem that integrates women, people of color, and other underrepresented groups.
Greentown Labs is excited to hire a dynamic finance professional to join a growing Finance team who will be responsible for monitoring Greentown Lab’s financial health while overseeing business-critical aspects of accounting, reporting, and financial analysis. As Controller, you will design, lead, and manage all daily accounting operations, audit, compliance, and monthly/annual financial reporting for a growing $16M+ annual budget. Through this role, you will manage the execution of accounts payable and receivable, oversight of financial systems (including the general ledger), the annual audit process, and grants administration functions for the organization.
The Controller will work closely with Finance Team and Executive Team members to streamline accounting processes and establish standard operating procedures to ensure financial accuracy and provide maximum benefit to the organization. The Controller will manage the Senior Accountant and report to the Chief Financial Officer.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Your work as Controller will focus on the following key objectives:
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP, GASB, and/or FASB standards and regulatory requirements
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; prepare financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants
- Build relationships cross-functionally and collaborate with departments across the organization to ensure proper tracking of financial metrics and organizational goals
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Create monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial statements for presentation and distribution to internal and external stakeholders; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership informed of Greentown Lab’s financial status
- Serve as a business partner to senior management by identifying financial and operational risks and opportunities and communicating them with a solutions-orientation
- Manage all annual financial audit and 990 tax processes
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery
- Assist with the roadmap, evaluation and adherence to procurement process, ensuring proper documents are completed and retained in the purchase cycle
- Work with Chief Financial Officer to maintain a comprehensive, accurate, and well-documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Lead, coach, and develop Senior Accountant, whose primary duties are accounts payable, accounts receivable, and reconciliations
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. We know people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- Can-do, mission-oriented mentality with a positive, self-starter attitude and collaborative leadership style
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting required; CPA strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience in a fast-paced, non-profit accounting role with a successful track record, including building and effectively managing a team
- Technology savvy with ability to efficiently and effectively manage data for financial reporting; knowledge of non-profit finance software desired
- Demonstrated success in developing and monitoring systems to manage internal operations and processes to meet monthly, quarterly, and annual deadlines
- Ability to anticipate the infrastructure and systems needed in a growing multi-entity nonprofit
- Able to lead initiatives and build in structured processes when needed; comfortable in a start-up environment
- Strong communication, follow-up, and presentation skills
- Able to prioritize projects and initiatives and successfully manage a diverse workload of long-term, short-term, and repeated priorities
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS AND LOCATION
Greentown offers a comprehensive benefits package. The salary for this position begins at $130,000 and is commensurate with experience. This role can be based in either Greentown’s Headquarters in Somerville, MA or in their new office in Houston, TX. In addition to a competitive salary, Greentown Labs also offers:
- A flexible, fun, supportive working environment; working alongside amazing people tackling the planet’s biggest challenges;
- Generous parental leave policy and benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance and 401k plan; and
- The opportunity to work at the largest climatetech incubator in North America which includes an awesome community of mission-driven entrepreneurs and endless networking opportunities.
TIMELINE AND HIRING PROCESS
We will review and respond to all applications received. While subject to change, candidates elected to advance throughout the process can expect an initial phone interview with Positively Partners, an interview with the Chief Financial Officer and for finalists, an interview day with Greentown staff, including a robust and holistic reference check process. Expected start date is late May 2022.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Greentown Labs seeks to fully represent our community and constituencies—particularly low-income communities and communities of color—to amplify those voices and provide opportunities to participate in the direction and leadership of the organization. We actively encourage candidates from broad, diverse backgrounds to apply.
Greentown Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
How to ApplyTo apply to this position, please have an updated resume ready and a thoughtfully written cover letter to the attention of the Greentown Labs team. The online application can be found by following this link run by our recruitment partner, Positively Partners. For assistance in completing the application, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will follow up.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405