Full-Time Community Engagement Assistant
The Idaho Conservation League (ICL) is seeking a thoughtful and motivated individual with a background in community outreach and engagement to support ICL’s North Idaho office. Specific areas of responsibility include building community support for ICL’s strategic initiatives; recruiting and organizing members and volunteers; creating opportunities for supporters to volunteer and influence decision-makers and policy; and growing the conservation community in North Idaho.
Location: This in-person position is based in Sandpoint, Idaho.
Classification: Full-time exempt
Supervisor: North Idaho Director
Salary: Starts at $44,500
Benefits: Paid health insurance, Simple IRA with match, PTO and more
Desired start date: Early to mid March 2023.
Opportunity for impact: Founded in 1973, ICL is the state’s oldest and largest statewide advocacy organization, with more than 25,000 members and advocates from across Idaho and the region. ICL is growing, presently employing 30 individuals, with offices in Boise, McCall, Ketchum, and Sandpoint Idaho. You will be a critical member of the North Idaho Office in Sandpoint, where you will assist staff working to protect public lands, water quality and native fish and wildlife, for all who live in Idaho. The work you do will directly support ICL’s programs, enabling staff to continue our policy and grassroots advocacy work as we seek to grow the conservation community in Idaho, and achieve pragmatic, enduring solutions.
Summary of position:
The North Idaho Community Engagement Assistant will work with our Sandpoint staff to build public support for strategic initiatives through public outreach and engagement activities. Priority initiatives include securing congressional designation of the proposed Selkirk and Scotchman Peaks Wilderness Areas and protection of North Idaho’s waterways from pollution and irresponsible land use plans and practices. The Assistant will empower members, supporters, volunteers and the public to become involved in these initiatives and bring about positive environmental change by organizing community events and creating opportunities for members and supporters to volunteer, take action and influence decision-makers and policy.
- Assist the North Idaho Director and external partners with efforts to build community support for the permanent protection of the proposed Selkirk and Scotchman Peaks Wilderness Areas through community outreach and engagement strategies.
- Work with the North Idaho Lakes Conservation Associate to protect Lake Pend Oreille, Lake Coeur d’Alene, Priest Lake, the Kootenai River and other waterways from pollution and irresponsible land use plans and practices through community outreach and engagement strategies.
- Assist with the recruitment, training and management of volunteers for ICL’s Lake Pend Oreille Water Quality Monitoring Program.
- Organize and participate in monthly community events, in order to connect ICL with members and supporters and offer them ways to help advance ICL’s strategic goals through volunteerism or advocacy.
- Work with the Engagement Coordinator and members of the engagement team to advance organizational priorities and support effective advocacy efforts.
- Work with ICL’s Communications Manager to build and maintain relationships with reporters and generate earned and social media coverage of ICL’s work in local media outlets.
- Assist the Development Director by growing ICL’s membership in North Idaho, assisting with donor related events, and making gratitude calls to donors as needed. Use Salesforce to track activity records and notes on contacts in the donor portfolio.
- Grow ICL’s relationships with partners, conservation groups, tribes, first nations and other allies.
- Participate in ICL’s efforts to build a more diverse and inclusive environmental movement that is responsive to marginalized and underrepresented communities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- An ability and desire to communicate with and engage a wide variety of individuals, groups and audiences.
- Professional experience advocating for or organizing environmental, conservation, social justice or other efforts to make meaningful change.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional experience in the nonprofit sector.
- A passion for the environment and the communities of North Idaho.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and social and environmental justice.
How to Apply
- Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references, combined into one PDF document to ICLjobs@idahoconservation.org and include North Idaho Community Engagement Assistant in the subject line. Applications are due no later than January 31st.
- The Idaho Conservation League’s programs and employment are open to all. ICL does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or ability. For more information about ICL, please visit our website at www.idahoconservation.org.