Full-Time Communications Specialist (Berlin)
The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) is pleased to announce the opening of a new Communications Specialist position for Europe and invites all eligible applicants to apply. The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) is an award-winning, independent, global, non-profit research organization that provides data-driven research to advance policies that reduce the health and environmental impacts of the transportation sector. The ICCT offers a mission-driven and culturally diverse workplace where intelligence, flexibility, transparency, and good humor are highly valued. Join our team of more than 100 talented researchers and operations staff with offices in Washington D.C., San Francisco, Berlin, Beijing, and São Paulo.
The ICCT is looking for a Communications Specialist to join our Berlin office, working to support the transition of the transport sector towards zero-emission technologies. You will lead the development and implementation of strategic communications for ICCT’s European office in partnership with ICCT’s global communications team and the research staff of the Passenger Vehicles, Heavy-Duty Vehicles, Fuels, Marine, and Aviation programs in Europe. You will ensure that our high-quality and policy-relevant work reaches the right audience at the right time for maximum impact. The position will form part of ICCT’s Communications Team and work closely with project managers and research staff. This position will report to the Communications Manager based in San Francisco, CA.
The ideal candidate will hold a degree in a relevant discipline and possess relevant experience in communications, journalism, or public relations; have ample international expertise (education, travel, or work); speak two or more European languages in addition to English, and demonstrate an interest in solving our most pressing global health and environmental challenges. Some flexibility is required to accommodate calls and meetings scheduled across international time zones.
- Lead the development and implementation of a communications strategy in each of our key programs in Europe, including stakeholder outreach, media outreach, and social media content creation.
- Write press releases, infographics, media pitches, and factsheets, summarizing the key elements of ICCT’s research.
- Organize and moderate virtual and in-person events, such as webinars and workshops.
- Coordinate the translation of communication pieces into various EU languages.
- Develop and maintain contact lists in compliance with GDPR.
- Develop and jointly manage an editorial calendar for the European program.
- Work with other members of the communications team to develop ICCT’s global communications strategy.
- Track analytics and create reports detailing successes and failures of communications efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with relevant experience in communications, journalism, or public relations. Master’s level or other graduate-level degree is a plus.
- 2-5 years of work experience in journalism, communications, or a related field.
- Experience writing content for print- or web-based publications and social media.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong written and verbal language skills in at least two European languages other than English.
- A demonstrated interest in environmental issues
The position will be based in the ICCT’s office in Berlin. The position is open to applicants seeking both full-time and part-time engagements. Initially, a 2-year limited contract will be offered, possibly transitioning into an unlimited contract depending on organizational resources and performance. We offer a hybrid office/remote flexibilities and other great benefits.
How to Apply
- Please click here to submit your application. The application should consist of a cover letter, your resume, references, and communications portfolio. Please refrain from submitting a photograph.
- We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.