Full-Time Communications, PR and Media Manager
Shaw Institute is seeking a highly organized communications specialist with superb skills to fill the position of Communications, PR and Media Manager. The individual will lead Shaw Institute’s communications and media operations and is responsible for developing and implementing an effective communications and media strategy to advance the Institute’s mission, vision, and initiatives. He/she will work closely with the Founder/Director to increase visibility and media coverage of the research, issues, and initiatives; and organize consistent framing, messaging, and promotion of our work across multiple communication channels including mass media, social media, websites, and internally among the staff and partners/collaborators.
This is a full-time remote position, although occasional trips to Maine and New York City are required.
The ideal candidate is located on the US Eastern coast. The position will remain open until filled.
Primary Role and Responsibility
The primary responsibility of the Communications, PR and Media Manager is to support the success of Shaw Institute’s mission, programs, and fundraising through public communications strategies and activities, especially media outreach and coverage. Primary role includes working with Founder/Director and our New York City-based branding firm to develop and execute effective communications strategy and activities; organizing common framing and messaging to highlight priority issues; drafting internal and public communications emails, releases, and other documents; executing high-quality media outreach; and managing digital communications platforms (websites and social media).
Organizing Marketing and Communications Efforts
- Monitoring, sharing, and framing relevant issues/opportunities, stories, new research, and media reports and initiatives (especially those that reflect, reinforce, or support priority issues, themes, and messages) with staff, donors and stakeholders.
- Working with the Founder/Director and our New York-based branding firm to create and advance communications and media strategies in support of programmatic, policy and funding goals.
- Maintaining a thorough and current organizational communications and media calendar.
Media Relations & Outreach
- Engaging in national and regional cultivation of relevant media outlets, and relationship-building with reporters and analysts across all media formats, with an emphasis on growing reporter relationships in the mainstream and media sectors.
- Drafting and disseminating written communications materials to include media advisories, press releases, and statements, including quotes for featured individuals, op-eds, blog, and social media posts, through collaborative processes with relevant leaders and staff.
- Pitching journalists on Institute issues and events.
- Responding to reporter inquiries and requests.
- Developing clear, compelling frames and core messages for use in all communications.
- Planning and coordinating in-person media events and press conference calls.
- Collaborating with external partners and coalitions on media, communications and funding efforts.
- Staying on top of general media trends and monitoring the news cycle.
- Tracking media coverage and metrics to report internally on success and impact of
communications efforts and optimize future content.
Digital Strategy, Advocacy and Content Management
- Planning and managing a digital strategy to ensure organization’s external messages and priorities are being effectively communicated through our website and other online platforms.
- Managing the website, updating web content.
- Develop effective, collaborative relationships with Shaw Institute staff, trustees, funders, and partners and consultants.
- Ably represent Shaw Institute at strategic gatherings and in presentations.
- Oversee activities of junior staff (Communications Assistants)
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in environmental/ public health policy, environmental journalism, advocacy or a related field.
- Minimum of three years’ work experience in environmental nonprofit communications, including significant direct media outreach experience.
- A demonstrated track record in the design and execution of multi-faceted communications and media strategies that advance initiatives and increase organizational visibility.
- Knowledge of, and passion for relevant issues including environmental health, plastic pollution, chemical pollution, environmental justice, and preventing climate change.
- Superior writing, editing, and visual presentation skills with the ability to write for/communicate with a variety of audiences.
- Highly organized and effective manager, able to prioritize and tackle multiple tasks within established deadlines.
- Creative, self-motivated, able to work independently.
Salary Range & Benefits:
The Communications, PR and Media Manager is a full-time position. The salary range for this position is $45,00 – $72,000. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to ApplyApplication and Timeline: The application period will remain open until the position is filled. Please submit the following materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications, PR and Media Manager.”
- Cover letter, describing your background and why you are interested in and qualified for this position
- Three professional employment references with contact information
- 2 writing samples
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405