Full-Time Communications & Marketing Assistant (Atlanta, Charlottesville, or Chapel Hill)
SELC is currently hiring for a Communications and Marketing Assistant. This is a full-time position that can be based in our Atlanta, Charlottesville, or Chapel Hill offices. As a Communications and Marketing Assistant for SELC, you will provide integral support to the 20-person communications team working to engage and educate about a full range of environmental issues of particular importance to the South—climate change, clean air and water, our public lands, coastal protections, and environmental justice.
The assistant will handle communications and marketing support tasks such as helping with media outreach, drafting and editing materials, handling website updates, and managing research projects. The role will include a full range of administrative responsibilities, such as processing invoices, helping to maintain calendars, scheduling meetings, and other various tasks to help the communications team operate efficiently.
We are looking for a team member who is interested in learning about strategic communications and media outreach, someone ready to dive in to track media coverage and social media mentions, manage press lists, and research new topics. We want someone who will be equally excited to manage the critical details of our work, with thorough attention to detail in tracking budgets, organizing travel, and looking for ways to improve systems to help the team operate more efficiently.
This is a chance to join our team of strategists, designers, analysts, investigators, ambassadors, and innovators who work closely together to develop comprehensive communications strategies to help SELC meet its programmatic and organizational objectives. We tell the stories, paint the picture, make the information clear, and reach the right people to move the environmental needle.
- Provide general administrative support, including fielding phone calls and inquiries, organizing materials, scheduling meetings and travel, and preparing expense reports
- Assist with media outreach, including researching and organizing press lists; tracking and compiling press reports; and drafting, editing, and distributing press materials and pitches
- Help with general website administration, review, and management, including drafting, adding and editing website content, managing online resources and content requests from staff, and preparing digital reports
- Assist with social media coordination, drafting, and approvals for posts related to communications administrative topics such as events and awards
- Provide general support to communications team directors, working closely with and providing back-up support to the Communications and Marketing Associate
- Two years of administrative or relevant communications experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Highly organized. You are self-driven and have excellent time management skills. You feel confident shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment, including managing several efforts at once.
- Detail oriented and well organized. You love thinking through all aspects of a system and taking the extra time and care to get the details right.
- Strong writer and communicator. You are eager to learn more about communications strategies that reach people and move them to action. You are a strong writer who will be comfortable and capable drafting and editing materials, from media pitches to web copy and press releases. Experience working with the media or advocacy communications is a plus.
- Technically savvy. Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications and general comfort with various online applications and software programs.
- Interest in environmental, climate, and environmental justice issues.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. You have a genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC create and foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. You engage in ongoing personal learning and are eager to contribute to our organizational efforts to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Collegial, collaborative team player. You enjoy learning together with your teammates and helping others to succeed in their work as well. You bring a collaborative attitude to engaging with other team members and external stakeholders alike.
About SELC: The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of 170, including 90 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, Va., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, D.C. southernenvironment.org
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation: SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental non-profits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. The starting salary range for this position is $40,000-$50,000, commensurate with experience. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
How to Apply
- To Apply: To apply, click on the link below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. Cover letters should be directed to the Director of Program Communications, Emily Driscoll. Interested persons should apply immediately. The initial deadline for receipt of complete applications is February 14, 2022. However, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Apply now: Southern Environmental Law Center (viglobalcloud.com)
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405