Full-Time Communications Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Able to work virtually from any Gulf of Mexico state, with ability to travel to New Orleans frequently.
Salary: $ 70,000 – 75,000 (depending on experience) plus generous benefits, including health (after 30 day waiting period), dental insurance, short term disability insurance, 2 weeks paid sick leave and 3 weeks paid vacation.
Summary: The Communications Director will, in collaboration with program staff and allies, coordinate and aid in the implementation of communications plans, direct online and written communications advocacy, lead the development of key organizational communications pieces like annual reports, and maintain relationships and communications with media contacts.
Healthy Gulf’s purpose is to collaborate with and serve communities who love the Gulf of Mexico by providing research, communications, and coalition-building tools needed to reverse the long pattern of over-exploitation of the Gulf’s natural resources.
Healthy Gulf values and respects all types of diversity and strongly encourages applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply. We prohibit discrimination and harassment and provide equal employment opportunity without regard to, and not limited to, ethnicity, religion, race, national origin, abilities, gender identity, sexual orientation, age or genetic information. We are committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting those from traditionally marginalized groups.
- Develop and lead the implementation of a comprehensive, strategic organizational communications plan, as well as working with staff to craft communications plans specific to campaigns and programs;
- Ensure compelling, consistently branded communications from all areas of the organization;
- Develop relationships and coordinate communication with community partners and collaborating organizations;
- Further the advocacy and fundraising ability of Healthy Gulf by maximizing the visibility of our efforts to protect and restore the natural resources of the Gulf of Mexico;
- Participate in the Management Team with the Executive Director, Senior Policy Director, and Campaign Director;
- Provide ongoing communications training for staff on social media, messaging, strategy and writing.
Writing and Online Advocacy:
- Build Healthy Gulf’s number of online supporters, interactions through our website, e-blasts, and social media reach;
- Maintain Healthy Gulf’s website;
- Lead the development of communication materials like annual reports, flyers and brochures;
- Co-manage Healthy Gulf’s donor and supporter database, EveryAction, in coordination with the Development and Administrative teams;
- Ensure quality and consistency of email blasts and social media presence.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant reporters, editors, bloggers, and opinion writers throughout the region and the country;
- Manage an up-to-date list of Healthy Gulf media contacts for use by all staff;
- Organize and assist with press conferences, media events, editorial board meetings and other media events;
- Draft and/or edit news advisories, news releases, op-eds and letters-to-the-editor ensuring consistency of message/communications;
- Be a spokesperson for Healthy Gulf and strengthen the ability of staff and members to act as spokespeople.
Ideal Candidates Possess:
- At least 4 years’ experience in communications, public relations, nonprofit or community advocacy, issue campaigns, organizing or other related fields;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Experience with constituent management software (i.e. EveryAction); web content management
services (i.e. WordPress) and social media networks;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple deadlines and prioritize;
- Ability to function as part of team and work collaboratively;
- Bachelor’s degree, degree from an accredited community college or equivalent work experience;
- Ties to or experience working in the Gulf south preferred.
How to ApplyTo apply, submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter. Within your cover letter, answer the following question in 2 paragraphs or less: The effects of climate change disproportionately affect communities of color. In the Gulf South, how can we ensure equity and inclusion as we adapt to the changing physical landscape that climate change will present us with?
- a resume
- 3 references