Full-Time Communications Coordinator
“This thriving citizens organization exemplifies the ideal of public involvement in public processes.”
– Billings Gazette
At Northern Plains, we believe that true prosperity begins with healthy land, water, and air. We believe that our families, farms, ranches, schools, businesses, governments, and communities thrive when we are good stewards of these resources. We believe that if we look beyond our fences, listen to one another, and keep our minds open, we will find creative solutions to secure a clean, healthful environment for all.
Check out our website for more information about us and our 48-year history: www.northernplains.org .
LOCATION: Billings, Montana
Join our team of organizers and program staff as the Communications Coordinator to make the world a better place! Take part in the work to promote water quality, renewable energy, healthy soils, local food, and local economies.
You will be directly supervised by the Communications Director and work with members from all over the state. Occasional overnight travel is required, approximately 5-10 times per year. As the Northern Plains Communications Coordinator, you’ll meet lots of inspiring people from all walks of life, and you’ll make change happen at the grassroots level.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Backup and support for the Communications Director in managing the weekly communications huddle and monthly team meetings
- Design & layout of posters, postcards, brochures, fact sheets, social media memes, etc.
- Email lead (finalize content, layout, and send several organizational emails per week)
- Manage the website in collaboration with communications team
- Assist in social media in consultation with Communications Director
- Take, edit, and organize photos
- Assist with videography as needed
- Participate with the full staff and board in grassroots fundraising
- Commitment to Northern Plains’ values and ability to get along well with people from diverse backgrounds
- Positive attitude and flexible disposition (as a grassroots organization, we often wear many hats at Northern Plains!)
- Able to make constructive edits to written and designed projects, comfortable with being edited
- Strong speaking and writing skills
- Ability to travel and be away overnight (apprx. 5-10 times/yr for this position)
- Willingness to work long hours when needed
- Graphic design (InDesign required, Photoshop and Illustrator a plus)
- Experience with website management/maintenance (WordPress a plus)
- Experience with email marketing/outreach software (Campaign Monitor a plus)
- Experience crafting and monitoring social media posts for company/organization
- Experience working for social change, environmental issues, or a political campaign preferred
- Familiarity with conservation and agriculture issues, and experience with fundraising preferred
This is a fast-paced job where you will have strong influence about what, when, where, and how things are done. The ideas, experience, and creativity of ALL staff are valued, cultivated, and integral to how we fulfill our mission.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a salaried, full-time exempt position. Salary commensurate with experience; health insurance (20% employee contribution required); 4 weeks’ vacation; paid holidays and sick leave; pension program; and the opportunity to work in some of the most beautiful countryside in the world.
Salary range: $35,400- $40,000 depending on experience.
How to ApplyTO APPLY: This position is open until filled, but we encourage applications as soon as possible. Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Cover letter (tell us why you want the job)
- Short writing sample
- Contact information for 3 professional references