Full-Time Communications Associate
Who We Are: Friends of the Earth (FOE) is a national not for profit environmental organization that strives for a healthier and more just world. We push for the reforms that are needed. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
The Communications Department maintains Friends of the Earth’s brand and works to tell the organization’s stories, using traditional, social, digital, and visual means to achieve campaign objectives. At FOE, the Communications department encompasses press and traditional media, web and social media, and graphics and multimedia. We develop communications strategies for the organization’s campaigns and work with our colleagues to share their important work with the world. Working closely with our colleagues in the programs and organizing departments, we craft messaging and create visuals that help audiences understand wonky, complex issues that impact people and the planet.
What We Look For: A detail-oriented hard worker with strong written and verbal communication skills. A team player who can support the administrative, media and research tasks for the Communications team. Someone who is well organized who can juggle overlapping tasks and deadlines.
The good news is that this is a growth position. We want you to succeed and we want to pay you a competitive wage that is in line with your experience. The starting range for this full-time role in the Washington, DC office is $50,000-$55,000. Offers are determined based on relevant skills and experience required for the position.
What the Role Needs:
Organized Self Starter: Schedules, facilitates and records meetings for the Communications department. Manages the calendar to ensure all requests, deadlines and dates are tracked in the proper systems. Processes the expenses and invoices and maintains files, news subscriptions and contracts.
Capable Contributor: Assists press officers with fielding inquiries from reporters. Contributes and edits the blogs, op-eds, press releases and media advisories. Builds new press lists and maintains current lists based on research. Pulls press clips by using media monitoring software and presents to the team weekly.
Collaborative Team Player: Works in partnership with the Communications team. Works closely with Social Media Coordinator to track social media metrics and analyze trends on a monthly basis.
- Strong interest in communications, journalism and/or media relations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- 1 to 3 years of professional or administrative experience
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work under deadline pressure handling multiple tasks accurately, with composure, and according to procedure
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. FOE does not sponsor any employment related visas.
- Strong copy-editing skills
- Experience drafting posts for social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) professionally
- Familiarity with media monitoring software (Meltwater or Muckrack)
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
Perks & Benefits:
We are a generous employer with benefits that will take care of you. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage (80% for eligible dependents)
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Matching effective Day 1 (3% match)
- Generous Leave (Vacation-minimum 2 weeks to start, 12 Holidays, Sick, Parental, Sabbatical and More)
- Education Reimbursement and Employee Assistance Program
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.
How to ApplyApply using link: https://foe.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=51
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405