Full-Time Communications Assistant
The Shaw Institute (SI) is seeking to hire an individual with excellent communications and technical/graphics skills to fill the position of Communications Assistant. The ideal candidate will be a recent graduate or early career professional who is ready to move into a challenging position. The successful candidate will have a background in environmental policy, journalism, or a related field; excellent writing, verbal, and visual skills; and a proficiency with media and communications tools.
This is a full-time position that can be performed remotely or on site at the Shaw Institute’s Research Center in Blue Hill, Maine. The ideal candidate is located on the US Eastern coast.
Roles and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of the Communications Assistant is to raise the profile of Shaw Institute’s mission, programs, marketing and brand including the work and legacy of the Founder. Work closely with the Founder/Director and our NYC-based branding firm to create consistent and effective narrative content and graphics across multiple platforms. Perform basic duties related to external and internal communications and associated technology; manage social media and the Shaw Institute website. Provide written and graphic materials for media, marketing, donor appeals, funding proposals and publicity.
- Manage the Institute’s website, social media and other online platforms.
- Edit website content to reflect news and developments on core issues. Regularly update homepage and events.
- Manage and interact with audiences across Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Activate and utilize Instagram.
- Create a consistent narrative across platforms that highlights our work to audiences at the local, national and international level.
- Expand digital outreach via the Institute’s partners and networks.
- Write communications materials including media advisories, press releases, op-eds, blogs, and reports. Use clear, compelling frames and core messages in all communications.
- Respond to reporter inquiries and requests.
- Collaborate with external partners and coalitions to increase media, communications and funding efforts.
- Stay on top of general media trends and the news cycle on relevant issues.
- Track media coverage and metrics to evaluate the success and impact of communications efforts and optimize future content.
- Manage inquiries and correspondence from relevant email@example.com and
firstname.lastname@example.org channels. Respond and/or copy in relevant team members in a timely manner.
- Write and provide graphic support for donor outreach and appeals.
- Develop background material for funding proposals.
- Keep our audiences updated on developments, milestones and events at the Institute through regular eblasts.
- Share relevant issues/opportunities, stories, new research, and media reports and initiatives, especially those that support core issues, themes, and messages.
Collaboration with Plastic Health Coalition/ Plastic Soup Foundation
- Establish working relationships with the science team and key players in communications.
- Support Founder/Director as US Scientific Liaison on research, communications, presentations, and preparation for the Plastic Health Summit 2021 and other global conferences.
- Monitor PHC developments and research breakthroughs relevant to the Institute’s work; broadcast the narrative across web channels and social media.
- Participate in group Zoom calls and follow up action items.
- Develop effective, collaborative relationships with Shaw Institute staff, trustees, funders, and partners and consultants.
- Represent Shaw Institute at strategic gatherings and targeted meetings and conferences; deliver reports and presentations as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a strong background in environmental/public health policy, environmental communications, journalism, advocacy or a related field.
- Superior writing, editing, and visual presentation skills with the ability to write
for/communicate with a variety of audiences.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, Mailchimp, eblasting, social media tools,
photography/film a plus.
- Highly organized and effective, able to prioritize and tackle multiple tasks within established deadlines.
- Must be able to travel and work from different locations.
- Creative, self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a team.
Reports to: Founder/Director and Marketing/Communications Manager.
Time Requirements & Salary
This is a full-time remote or on-site position, requiring at least 40 hours per week. If working remotely, travel to Blue Hill and New York City for in-person meetings is required. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to ApplyApplication and Timeline: Please submit the following materials by email to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Assistant”.
- Cover letter, describing your background and why you are interested in and qualified for this position
- Three professional references with contact information
- 2 writing samples
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405