Full-Time Communications and Outreach Manager
Are you frustrated about the alarming changes in our environment? With up to one million species on the brink of disappearing in the coming decades are you thinking… “I wish I could do something?” Well, maybe you can.
Who you are:
Revive & Restore is looking for a brilliant Communications and Outreach Manager with experience in diverse communications with media and engagement with multiple stakeholder demographics ranging from the general public to non-profits and government agencies. If you are an experienced science writer, versatile in addressing various audiences such as the media, science community, corporate sponsors, donors, and the public— then please read on.
Who we are:
At Revive & Restore we are building a new conservation toolkit for “Genetic Rescue in the 21st Century” by applying biotechnologies to some of the toughest biodiversity challenges. Our projects are demonstrating the measurable impact biotechnology can have for wildlife by enhancing genetic diversity, helping to build disease resistance, developing synthetic alternatives to wild harvest and facilitating adaptation to a changing climate.
We are the leading conservation organization promoting the incorporation of genetic tools into standard conservation practice, bringing together the academic or commercial labs advancing the science and the conservation practitioners working in the field. Revive & Restore has three distinct roles as a convener, as a science coordinator, and, increasingly, as a funder – advancing the necessary science to build the new conservation toolkit.
We are spearheading exciting, collaborative projects in genomic conservation with promising results. https://reviverestore.org
How you can help:
Working closely with the Executive Director, staff, board members, and international partners, the Communications and Outreach Manager will help to articulate the organization’s work by crafting and writing press releases, presentation decks (for international conferences), grant proposals, internal reports, newsletters, blog posts, and website updates. The ability to delve into complex issues with experts and distill this information to a wide variety of audiences through an array of communications formats is the skillset we need.
Areas you would manage:
- Craft and edit internal and external reports / articles
- Assist ED with presentations and op/eds
- Work with the ED, Director of Conservation Science and featured partners to create Progress Reports with compelling content to inform supporters
- Research funding opportunities; write and submit grant proposals
- Managing multiple GoogleGroups for various membership updates
Public and Media Relations:
- Respond to media inquiries and evaluate the media requests
- Coordinate approved media interview with Revive & Restore staff and researchers and track results
- Craft press releases, organization outreach/ media statements
- Invite and host media at special events, such as Revive & Restore conferences
- Manage social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn crafting and posting engaging updates to grow followers
- Post updates as needed on the site (using WordPress)
- Work with graphic designer to ensure layout and functionality
- Maintain an engaging dialogue with supporters through blog postings
- Utilize Web analytics to evaluate needed website changes and work with web designer to execute improvements
- Assist in event planning and execution including gatherings of international science experts and small private donor events
- Work with ED and the Executive Assistant to ensure agenda and event details are organized and communicated to all participants
- Utilize these events to obtain expert interviews and to create conference summaries as an opportunity to create media, social and donor attention to further mission
- Develop written collateral as needed
- A bachelor’s degree in sciences (biological sciences preferred), history of science, science education, or communications, journalism, or other degree related to communications
- Demonstrated skills in translating complex information for various audiences
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a Communications Manager, or similar experience in media relations and social media
- Proven success as a multifaceted and skilled science writer
- Able to work the occasional weekend and/or evening
- Skills with WordPress, MailChimp, Google applications, social media platforms: Facebook,
- Able to effectively juggle and prioritize multiple projects and deadlines
Come help us present to the world the measurable impact genetic rescue can have on protecting and preserving our living species. Add your unique skills to a team that is doing something truly transformative in conservation!