Full-Time Communications and Engagement Director
About Advocates for the West
Advocates for the West is a leading non-profit public interest environmental law firm with offices in Boise, ID, and Portland, OR. We are active across the American West, stretching from the coast of California to the Rocky Mountains and from the northern forests of Washington State down to the borderlands of Arizona. We provide legal counseling and representation to a wide array of conservation groups, Native American Tribes, and activists, primarily in federal court litigation.
Advocates for the West’s current work focuses on fighting public lands oil and gas leasing; protecting sage-grouse habitats; saving the Pacific Northwest’s salmon, steelhead, and other imperiled fish; defending special places across the American West; protecting communities from mining and pollution; public education and outreach.
Learn more about the firm’s 18 years of success at www.advocateswest.org.
Advocates for the West seeks an experienced, innovative, motivated, and self-directed professional Communications and Engagement Director to join our team.
The Communications and Engagement Director (CED) will develop and implement strategic communications and engagement plans. They will engage new and existing audiences across the West to increase awareness of our work, engage new partners, and build financial support. The CED will ensure that communications and engagement efforts support organizational vision, strategies, goals, and objectives and reflect our broad geographic presence. The CED will serve as lead manager of our brand and craft stories, create content, produce products, manage platforms, and ensure consistency of messaging. The CED reports to the Deputy Director and works closely with the Executive Director and staff.
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan
- Oversee the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic communications, including newsletters, reports, e-blasts, website, social media, webinars, funding appeals, and digital asset library (photos, videos, logos)
- Collaborate closely with leadership, staff, clients, stakeholders, and partners to craft and amplify our messages
- Identify and engage new audiences through targeted outreach
- Build brand awareness through outreach, publications, communications, and marketing
- Regularly analyze and maximize the use of all communication channels
- Closely follow and position the organization to respond to industry trends
- Develop relationships and work closely with consultants in graphic arts, website design, and other supports as needed
- Secure earned media through proactively positioning the organization and staff as topical experts
- Cultivate and maintain media contacts, create and coordinate press releases, and serve as primary media contact
- Develop and implement engagement strategies to cultivate current relationships and build new ones
- Coordinate public and private events, including online events
- Manage logistics and execute all activities for events
- Support efforts to build stakeholder relationships within the communities impacted by our work
- Assist in writing and submitting materials for grant applications and reports
- Attend weekly staff meetings, board and staff retreats, and trainings
- Submit quarterly timesheets and timely requests for travel and other expense reimbursements
- Perform other duties, as needed
- At least 3+ years of experience in communications, public relations, journalism, and/or marketing
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Proven success developing and implementing communications plans at all levels of an organization
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to distill complex issues into clear and persuasive messaging
- Experience shaping and leveraging digital communications strategies and tactics
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Commitment to Advocates for the West’s mission
- Proficiency in a wide range of communications platforms, including social media, web, email, print, video, etc.
- Proven success engaging media and influencers
- Strong track record directing and managing concurrent projects
- Highly collaborative style with proven capacity to inspire cooperation and work well with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Aptitude for applying data to drive communications and outreach strategy
- Strong prioritization and organization skills, with meticulous attention to detail
- Adventurous spirit and commitment to travel broadly across the American West
Advocates for the West is committed to becoming more representative of the communities we serve and encourages people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We value a wide range of relevant experiences within and outside of the non-profit environmental sector.
Successful candidates will demonstrate a commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice within the organization and in the environmental movement.
Advocates for the West is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, veteran status, religion, and socioeconomic background.
The position is ideally based in our Boise, ID headquarters. Other arrangements include either a base in our Portland, OR office or a remote work location in one of the 11 Western states in which we work. The position will require regularly scheduled time spent in Boise and Portland offices. Most of our staff are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. We envision a flexible hybrid work model moving forward, with staff working both in-office and remotely. This position will require travel throughout our 11-state region of the American West.
Advocates for the West offers a competitive compensation package. Salary for this position is $65,000. We also offer discretionary annual bonus and an employer funded retirement plan. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance, disability insurance, and a pre-tax medical savings plan. Time off includes paid vacation, sick days, family leave, paid winter holiday break, federal holidays, and a paid sabbatical program for full-time employees. The CED is a full-time, exempt position.
Advocates for the West is committed to providing a fulfilling professional experience for our staff. Investing in our employees, supporting their professional growth, and creating a workplace that is committed to excellence and works to create lasting change for the West is the foundation of our work. All Advocates for the West employees have access to professional development opportunities relevant to their position and career goals.
How to Apply
- Nonprofit Professionals Now is proud to be working with Advocates for the West on this key position.
- Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a sample of your writing highlighting a topic/product/theme relevant to your work at the application portal. Application portal: https://wvdo-or.hiringthing.com/job/310920/communications-and-engagement-director
- Application Deadline: September 18, 2021
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405