Internship Climate Speakers Network Internship Spring 2023
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
Internship Program: The goal of our internship program is to provide a high-quality learning experience that helps to form the foundation for a career in the climate change or environmental movement for a diverse group of individuals seeking hands-on work experience in the field.
We offer paid internships in three cycles (spring, summer, fall) that align to typical college semesters. Each cycle runs for approximately 10-15 weeks. We ask for a 15-20 hour minimum commitment per week. Interns will be allowed to work a maximum of 30 hours per week. The internship opportunities are in a variety of programs and departments that will vary from cycle to cycle. Every Climate Reality intern is assigned a mentor who works closely with them to help navigate the organization, create overall objectives, and oversee their work plan.
Interns will be paid $16.10 per hour and will be provided a Climate Reality laptop to use during their internship.
For this internship role we will accept remote interns who work/reside in the following states for the Spring 2023 cycle: CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, NC, NY, NV, OR, PA, TN, TX and VA.
For DC applicants, our office is open. Our current policy is a hybrid approach with an option for our staff to come in at 20% of the time.
Successful applicants must be at least 18 years of age and will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States. Students and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply.
Department Overview: The Climate Speakers Network (CSN) is a team within The Climate Reality Project that seeks to empower diverse audiences to take climate and environmental action in their communities. Through an intersectional lens, we connect climate impacts to everyday issues happening throughout communities and provide attendees with the knowledge and tools they need to take action. CSN collaborates with partners to design and deliver community specific climate change curriculum and workshops. CSN workshops aim to turn awareness into action and inspire communities to fight for a healthy, equitable, and sustainable future – in local communities and around the world. CSN is looking for an intern to join our team in Spring 2023.
- Specific duties and responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Conduct grassroots outreach to event hosts and partner organizations.
- Research local community groups and engagement opportunities for the Climate Speakers Network.
- Assist with the organization and maintenance of the Climate Speakers Network database.
- Support communications and programming with Global Shapers engaged in climate action.
- Assist in recruitment, event coordination and logistics for full day and half day climate change peer-messenger trainings for domestic/international audiences.
- Help create event materials.
- Depending on interests and experience additional responsibilities could include researching international, national, state and local climate change impacts and solutions and creating presentations
- Organized, detail-oriented, and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in-person and on the phone.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
- Prior experience in environmental advocacy and grassroots organizing
- Interest in working with local communities, faith groups and/or international organizations
- Experience with Apple Keynote or PowerPoint.
- This position requires a minimum of 15 hours per week.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references with name, relationship, and contact information to email@example.com. Please use this subject line: CSN Internship. Also, let us know in your email with your submission the job site or other source where you found our posting.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social, and recreational activities and termination.