Full-Time Climate Resilience Associate
Groundwork Hudson Valley is a 501c3 non-profit organization committed to “changing places and changing lives” in the lower Hudson Valley. Our mission is to create sustainable environmental change in urban neighborhoods through community-based partnerships that promote equity, youth leadership, and economic opportunity. Program areas include climate resilience, sustainability education, and youth leadership development. Groundwork partners with neighborhood residents, private and non-profit partners, local businesses and government officials to identify environmental improvements that will advance equitable, healthy, vibrant communities and empower the next generation of community leaders. With the increase in extreme heat and rain events threatening our social, economic and environmental wellbeing, the climate resilience program is taking a ‘whole community’ approach that centers equity and justice, empowers all people, and builds capacity to protect Yonkers and Lower Westchester County from climate impacts.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is seeking a new associate to support the development and growth of our emerging Climate Resilience Program. The Climate Resilience Associate will report directly to the Climate Resilience Manager and will support the ongoing work on three main projects:
- The Saw Mill River Coalition – A dynamic partnership of community groups, government agencies, municipalities, and businesses committed to revitalizing and protecting the Saw Mill River through local stewardship projects and county-wide watershed planning.
- The Yonkers Greenway – A Rail-to-Trail project, designed to be a 2-mile walking/biking path and bike lanes connecting downtown Yonkers with New York City. Groundwork Hudson Valley is working in partnership with the City of Yonkers as the environmental and community liaison for the project.
- Climate Safe Neighborhoods – Working to promote local climate adaptation and resilience projects and policies by organizing and empowering Yonkers communities that are most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. Groundwork Hudson Valley has established and runs the Climate Safe Yonkers Task Force comprised of community members working to accomplish these goals.
- Work with diverse stakeholders from local government, technical assistance providers, non-profits and community-based organizations.
- Plan and facilitate stakeholder engagement and outreach meetings or events and build positive working relationships with new and existing partners.
- Plan and organize community environmental stewardship events.
- Work with community groups to develop local environmental stewardship programs.
- Work with the communications team to develop outreach materials such as newsletters, e-blasts and social media posts.
- Conduct qualitative research on climate threats, potential actions and resilience strategies.
- Develop presentations, reports, maps, surveys and other storytelling methods for general audiences.
- Help track grant requirements from state/federal agencies, private foundations, and other funders. Tasks include invoicing, reporting and tracking deliverables.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such as environmental science, landscape architecture, public policy or urban development and planning.
- Two or more years of professional work experience, preferably in environmental areas, urban greening, public health and safety, emergency preparedness, social justice, government planning or policy, or a related field.
- Familiarity with climate-related issues such as stormwater management, heat impacts, open space, green infrastructure, habitat restoration, or climate change adaptation and resilience concepts.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including interpersonal networking skills, public speaking, and relationship building.
- Outgoing self-starter with a demonstrated ability to motivate internal teams and external stakeholders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Yonkers communities a plus.
- Bilingual fluent in English and Spanish is desirable but not required.
- Has a passion for the guiding values and mission of Groundwork, including a commitment to environmental equity and justice.
The salary range for this position is $40,000 to $45,000. Groundwork offers a generous benefits package for employees, including participation in our health insurance plan, 11 paid holidays per year, 15 paid vacation days per year, 7 paid sick days per year, and additional paid comp-time at the discretion of the Executive Director. We also offer a Simple IRA and access to TransitChek pretax transportation benefits.
March 1, 2022.
How to Apply
- Send a thoughtful cover letter and resume that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this position to email@example.com, with subject header Climate Resilience Associate.
- Groundwork Hudson Valley is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate in any employer/employee relations based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable discrimination laws. City of Yonkers residents are strongly encouraged to apply.