Full-Time Climate Policy Analyst (Natural Resource Specialist 4)
With more than 40,000 employees who are dedicated to making Oregon a fantastic place to live, work, and play, the State of Oregon enterprise is comprised of a diverse group of employees who are passionate about public service. At the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity within its new Office of Greenhouse Gas Programs for a Climate Policy Analyst (Natural Resource Specialist 4) in Portland, Oregon.
The Office of Greenhouse Gas Programs is a newly-formed unit that is responsible for developing and implementing many of Oregon’s efforts to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Oregon Governor Brown has directed the department to develop and implement the following: (1) an expansion of the existing Clean Fuels Program; (2) a new program to cap and reduce GHG emissions from large stationary sources; (3) a new program to cap and reduce GHG emissions from transportation fuels; (4) a new program to cap and reduce GHG emissions from other liquid fuels and natural gas; and (5) a new set of requirements to reduce methane emissions from landfills. The Office builds on the department’s existing GHG Reporting Program, and will also coordinate with existing programs regulating vehicle emissions and promoting zero emissions vehicles. This position is one of ten new positions funded by the Oregon legislature for this program.
What you will do!
As the Climate Policy Analyst, you will serve as a technical expert responsible for the development and implementation of greenhouse gas reduction strategies to mitigate climate change. You will serve as a climate policy analyst supporting efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from a wide variety of sources. You will lead DEQ and stakeholder teams to gather scientific, policy, legal, and other information, including public input, to formulate policy, regulations, and programs that satisfy state and federal law, as well as the agency’s strategic goals for helping Oregon achieve our state’s ambitions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In addition, you will be responsible for outcomes of major significance to the agency and state, and you will weigh and manage a wide range of factors and uncertainties to develop policy and regulatory proposals for action, including evaluating and considering technical, environmental, public health, policy, legal, and economic factors, as well as stakeholder and public input.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to join a dynamic team tasked with designing and implementing programs to reduce Oregon’s contribution to global climate change. We offer medical, dental, and vision health benefits with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program: If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). Learn more to see whether you qualify at PSLF Program. If you are passionate about thinking globally and acting locally, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree in a physical science, environmental science, natural resources, or closely related field, AND 4 years of experience in a natural resource or environmental field (an equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable).
- At least 1 year of experience at a technical or professional level performing activities in a natural resource program such as researching and analyzing data, conducting investigations, applying pertinent laws and regulations, or coordinating and monitoring project activities.
- Experience researching, designing, developing, and/or implementing policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, particularly greenhouse gas emissions from the industrial and transportation sectors, or to implement major new natural resource programs.
- Experience evaluating and interpreting data and results of research; skill in writing clear and concise reports on findings, conclusions, potential impacts, and recommendations from research.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; excellent project management skills; experience planning, leading, and implementing major projects.
- Experience and strong ability to work collaboratively within a team and across teams.
- Excellent project management skills and organizational skills; experience and skill at managing complex projects with many stakeholders and multiple deliverables within resource constraints.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, the public, and a wide range of stakeholders, including communicating technical information; professional level writing and presentation acumen.
Experience evaluating, developing, or implementing market-based environmental programs with tradeable compliance instruments or something similar.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those once you’ve submitted your application via a pop-up with a veterans’ preference questionnaire.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 229-5107.
DEQ strives to create inclusive environments that welcome and value the diversity of the people we serve. DEQ fosters fairness, equity, and inclusion to create workplace environments where everyone is treated with respect and dignity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, physical stature, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, political affiliation, and any other factor applicable by state or federal law.
How to ApplyPlease visit: https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Portland--Multnomah-Street---DEQ/Climate-Policy-Analyst--Natural-Resource-Specialist-4-_REQ-37622
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405