Full-Time Climate Director
The California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) is a statewide coalition of grassroots, community-based organizations. We organize in communities most impacted by environmental issues – low-income communities and communities of color – to advance statewide policy that protects the environment and our health. For more information about CEJA, including our core member and partner organizations, please visit www.caleja.org. CEJA’s role is to advance an environmental justice (EJ) agenda in statewide policy, guided by the lived experiences of the communities we serve, and to grow the power and breadth of the EJ movement. Our work is based in the belief that no one EJ organization can win by itself; we need to be in a strategic alliance with each other to address the root causes of environmental and climate injustice. CEJA is looking for a collaborative, innovative, and experienced leader to direct one of our core program areas, the Climate Justice Program.
CEJA seeks a Climate Director to oversee the development and operation of its Climate Justice Program. The Climate Director will report directly to CEJA’s Interim Executive Director, supervise one manager level position, and collaborate closely with our member and partner organizations. As the leader of key CEJA programs, you will work to: put equity at the center of the climate debate; reduce California toxic hotspots; implement strong regulatory measures; and speed up our transition off fossil fuels.
The Climate Director position is mostly remote but will require occasional travel to CEJA’s hubs in Sacramento, Oakland, and Los Angeles, and to other locations throughout California. The Climate Director must be a resident of California.
- Leadership: Work closely with CEJA’s Leadership Team, identifying and implementing organizational strategies and ensuring that CEJA is a well-managed organization aligned with its mission, goals, and core values; attend occasional meetings of CEJA’s Board of Directors.
- Staff Management: Oversee CEJA’s Climate Justice program team, serving as thought partner, mentor, and supervisor to staff, ensuring that CEJA’s programs have ambitious and attainable goals and work plans; provide clear and useful feedback and strategic guidance to staff, including through performance evaluations.
- Committee Management: Oversee CEJA’s Climate Justice Committee, including facilitating committee meetings, co-developing the committee work plan, delegating roles and responsibilities, and monitoring progress.
- Program Implementation and Coordination: Provide guidance and direction to climate justice program staff to strengthen the planning and execution of CEJA’s climate work, building connections across CEJA’s intersecting program areas and ensuring a coordinated strategy to advance climate justice in California.
- Coalition Building: Build and foster strong working relationships within the Alliance, with CEJA members and partners.
- External Relationships: Serve as one of CEJA’s lead external representatives, cultivating and furthering relationships with a variety of decision makers and stakeholders, including elected officials, labor unions, and environmental and social justice organizations.
- Advocacy: Participate in events to advance CEJA’s program goals, as needed, including advocating before the state legislature, executive branch, and regulatory agencies.
- Policy Analysis: Support policy analysis of climate-related regulatory and legislative proposals, and support strategy development, as necessary.
- Media and Communications: Work with program staff and CEJA’s Communications Director to integrate strategic communications to advance program goals and help strengthen CEJA’s capacity to produce timely and relevant communications materials.
- External Spokesperson: Serve as representative and spokesperson for CEJA at major events, preparing, assisting with, and/or providing presentations as related to program areas, and provide media interviews as assigned.
- Grants and Development: Support CEJA’s fundraising success by contributing to climate-related grant proposals and reports and supporting the execution of grant agreements; build and maintain relationships with key donors.
Salary: $98,000-$104,000, depending on experience.
Benefits: CEJA believes in helping to provide a good work-life balance for its employees and offers a competitive benefits package inclusive of:
- Excellent orientation program
- Generous vacation (10 to 25 days per year)
- 11 paid holidays
- 2-week paid winter break (December 19th thru January 1st)
- 3 paid days per year for Civic Engagement
- 2-month sabbatical opportunity after 7 years of continuous employment
- Select health, dental, vision, and chiropractic insurance plans (paid by employer)
- Wellness leave (12 to 18 days per year)
- Medical reimbursement plan
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Professional development opportunities
Deadline and start date: Position will remain open until filled.
The California Environmental Justice Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people of color, women, and transgender and gender non-conforming people to apply. CEJA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.