Full-Time Climate Action Director
Are you interested in designing and leading the implementation of climate change mitigation and adaption strategies for Oregon? Do you have experience in partnership development and want to connect with communities of color, environmental justice and other climate impacted communities to create durable and lasting solutions? Climate change isn’t a distant threat, it is happening now and this new position could be the next step in your career to work in tackling this challenge with us.
As our Climate Action Director, you will advance The Nature Conservancy’s local and national strategies to reduce greenhouse emissions. You’ll proactively work with local partners, agencies, tribal governments and community-based organizations to establish a robust climate program and advance climate action in Oregon. Being collaborative is instrumental with your dynamic ability to both step up and lead and also work behind the scenes with colleagues from providing policy design leadership, participating in regulatory and rule-making analysis to providing expertise and advocacy support to advance climate-smart and carbon reduction strategies. You will also nurture and strengthen business partnerships to chart Oregon’s course to a low-carbon economy.
In case you’re not familiar with us, The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in more than 79 countries, all 50 United States, and your neighborhood. Our mission is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity therefore we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
As a leader in Oregon’s conservation community, our team of scientists and problem solvers directly protects the iconic landscapes and inspiring locations that define our great state. From working to reduce the severity of fires in our forests and designing our clean water future to developing innovative technologies with fisherman and ranchers that sustainably protect both nature and livelihoods, The Nature Conservancy is building a future where people and nature thrive together.
The preferred hiring range for this position is $90,000-$100,000.
- BA/BS degree and 7 years’ experience in climate and energy practice, transportation, conservation or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including managing finances and coordinating the work of other professionals and partners.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and/or government agencies.
- Experience negotiating.
- Experience working and communicating with a wide range of people and communities.
- Demonstrated experience integrating equity and inclusion practices into outcomes.
- Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- 7-10 years’ experience in conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience with greenhouse gas reduction strategies (policies, practices, campaigns etc.)
- Demonstrated experience influencing, developing and implementing conservation policy and plans.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in relevant discipline(s) and regions.