Internship Climate Action Corps – AmeriCorps Fellow
Position Title: Climate Action Corps
We are currently accepting applications from Californians (18+) who want to serve as Fellows for 11-months on climate action, assessment, or education projects principally in the five target communities of Fresno, Los Angeles, Redlands, San Jose, and Stockton.
In California, climate change is a threat to systems and people across the state. The impacts to our environment and health are worsening as we experience longer and more frequent droughts, devastating wildfires, and more. Each of us has a role to play. You can take meaningful action today to help communities across our state.
As a part of California’s comprehensive strategy to address the climate crisis, California Volunteers, Office of the Governor, is creating the country’s first state-level climate service corps. The service corps was established to empower all Californians to take meaningful action to safeguard the climate.
As the implementation lead, Bay Area Community Resources, will deploy 50 Fellows to serve with public agencies, Tribes, non-profit organizations, colleges and universities throughout the state to support climate projects in and for frontline communities.
California Climate Action Corps Activities
- Increase pathways into and participation in the climate workforce by fostering professional development opportunities for Corps members.
- Catalyze community climate action and opportunity by supporting full-time (summer and 11-month) service positions, called Fellowships, focused on organizing climate projects and creating volunteer opportunities in communities around the state.
- Promote student engagement in climate action by supporting in-school climate action service programming through university and school partnerships.
- Expand private sector climate action opportunities by facilitating corporate “days of service” and employee climate action programs.
- Foster deeper and broader engagement in and support for local climate action by creating a statewide hub to match organizations and projects with individuals who want to take climate action in their communities.
- Create momentum and widespread engagement with climate action as an everyday individual activity through a broad promotional campaign around top climate actions every individual can take, tracking participation, and celebrating outcomes.
Gain Experience and Skills
- Learn real-world climate action skills through organizing community action projects.
- Serve with a government, Tribe, nonprofit, or college or university committed to taking action on climate change and supporting implementation of service projects.
- Be part of a community and statewide force of emerging leaders.
- $22,000 Living Allowance (before taxes) spread evenly over 11 months
- $10,000 combined Segal Education Award and California For All Education Award (upon completion of service)
- SNAP (Food Stamps) – for those eligible
- Forbearance on existing qualifying student loans and payment of interest accrued during service
- Health Insurance
- Child care assistance to qualifying Fellows, paid to an eligible provider of your choice
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident of the United States*
- Ability to pass FBI, CA Department of Justice, out-of-state (if applicable), and National Sex Offender Public Registry background checks prior to service
Climate Action Corps Requirements
- At least 18 years of age
- Associates degree or above, and/or relevant experience
- Commitment to the full term of service (1700+ hours)
- Capability to work in a professional office or field setting (some virtual placements may be available)
- Strong communication (both verbal and written) and teamwork skills
- Past service experience (e.g., volunteering, community service, etc.)
- Experience with, or training in, outreach, facilitation and/or education
- Being local to the community you will serve in
How To Apply
Go to Member Application to submit your application. Get your applications in today, as we are filling our positions on a first come first serve basis!
Service cohorts begin November 1st, 2021, and serve until September 30th, 2022 for 1700-hour members.
How to ApplyClick here to learn more about this opportunity. Click here to complete the fellowship application.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405