Part-Time Climate Action Consultant
Job Title: Climate Action Consultant
Location: Big Sky, MT or Remote
Employment Type: Contractor- 1 year; 10-20 hours/week
Works with: Lizzie Peyton, Director of Community Sustainability
Reports to: Big Sky Sustainability Network Organization (SNO) Board
The Big Sky SNO Climate Action Consultant will work with our organization to develop and carry out specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound (SMART) climate action implementation strategies for the Big Sky community. Utilizing prior experience/education and materials presented in the 2023 Big Sky Community Climate Action Plan (CAP), the consultant will work with Implementation Coalitions to achieve progress towards the long term goal of net-zero emissions in Big Sky by 2050 in a data-driven manner. The successful candidate will engage stakeholders, identify key and timely solutions, and develop initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase ecosystem resilience to climate change impacts. This consultant will work closely with the Director of Community Sustainability to integrate climate action into SNO’s programs and operations.
- Assist guiding Implementation Coalitions to carry out the Climate Action Plan (CAP). Co-facilitate regular meetings with stakeholder coalitions to identify timely, measurable projects and programs based on the strategies put forth in the Big Sky Community Climate Action Plan.
- Present innovative strategies, ideas and solutions to challenges identified in the Climate Action Plan.
- Develop and track key performance indicators to measure progress towards Big Sky’s climate action goals. Proof of concept and demonstrated success will be valuable to community buy-in and long-term fundraising.
- Schedule meetings, prepare agendas, record and distribute meeting notes, prepare presentations and perform follow-up between meetings in conjunction with the Director of Community Sustainability.
- With consideration of coalition input, collaborate with the Director of Community Sustainability to design projects that support the mission of SNO including the preparation of work plans, timelines, and project budgets for SNO Board of Directors approval.
- In coordination with the Director of Community Sustainability and Board members, identify and secure necessary resources for selected project implementation.
- Prepare and present regular progress reports for the SNO Board and key project participants, and develop quarterly reports for community distribution. Work with stakeholders to deliver, monitor and communicate progress towards CAP strategies and goals.
- Compile emissions data to produce a 2022 Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions Inventory as a follow-up to the 2018 & 2019 GHG Emissions Inventory.
- Utilize appropriate involvement and persuasion strategies to gain acceptance of ideas or plans and commitment to actions that support specific outcomes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sustainability, Urban or Environmental Planning, Earth Sciences or a related field, AND at least three years of experience working on climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Implementation experience and solid technical knowledge of climate science (emissions reductions and net zero targets). Extensive proficiency in local, regional, or corporate climate change mitigation.
- Strong competence in research and data collection, analysis, and organization.
- Data visualization capability and communication. Ability to establish key performance indicators and objectives to track and relay metrics and outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in community engagement and stakeholder consultation processes. Project development skills and/or experience planning and leading high level strategic initiatives.
- Effective stakeholder engagement and diverse, high-level communication.
- Excel at leading change: actively engage and support change and innovation by communicating the future-state, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make change successful.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter, highly collaborative and capable of distilling complex ideas into actionable outcomes.
- Driven, with a focus on progressive forward motion, collaborative idea building and achieving measurable results. Action driven problem solver and systems thinker.