Full-Time Circular Economy Specialist, Public Affairs
Note: This position is based in Plymouth, MN in the western suburbs of Minneapolis. Local candidates are preferred but will consider remote candidates located within the US. In office/remote/hybrid work arrangements are available.
The Public Affairs, Circular Economy Specialist provides advice to both commercial sales staff and customers who may have questions about environmental impacts for packaging and products made from NatureWorks’ Ingeo™. The Circular Economy Specialist also provides technical assistance and public affairs support on issues around how biobased and compostable polymers provide environmental benefits and contribute to the circular economy.
NatureWorks adheres to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation concept of the circular economy, which entails gradually decoupling economic activity from the consumption of finite resources and designing waste out of the system.
- Keep abreast of current developments, trends and practices in circular economy including new developments and innovations around composting, anaerobic digestion, mechanical and recycling.
- Interface with composters, municipalities, and regulators to collaboratively grow acceptance of compostable food service ware as a food scraps diversion tool.
- Support the commercial sales team and our customers by providing insights into various EOL management methods and state and local packaging legislation/polices.
- Respond to customers’ questions about NatureWorks social responsibility activities and practices
Company Mission, Vision, and Values Leadership:
- Accountable for contributing to NatureWorks mission, vision, and values.
- Leverage the core values, culture concepts and guiding behaviors to drive accountability and engagement throughout the organization.
- Maintain a high level of ethical, intellectual, professional, and personal values that complement the team.
- Ability to fit and excel within a dynamic company culture.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to a challenging and developing environment; willingness to take on new responsibilities as our business evolves.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in natural/environmental science or a related degree.
- Four or more (+4) years of work experience in sustainability, life cycle analysis, and circular economy principles.
- Knowledge or experience in Environmental Social Governance (ESG) preferred
- Ability to travel frequently (up to 50% within North America when travel returns to normal – current travel requirements are much lower due to Covid-related restrictions) to represent NatureWorks at conferences and to meet with customers, project partners, other industry stakeholders and representatives from the recycling and composting industries. Travel frequency will vary throughout the year.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges and issues related to the composting, anaerobic digestion, recycling and other end of life solutions, especially as these relate to the packaging industry.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the bioeconomy principles and regenerative agriculture.
- Proficiency with MS PowerPoint, Excel and Word software
- Knowledge and philosophical alignment with the concept of the circular economy, and the ability to apply circular economy principles to assigned projects and programs.
- Project management experience with demonstrated success in managing both internal and external stakeholders.
- Adept in analyzing and interpreting data from in-house and third-party research studies. Understanding of Life Cycle Analysis
- Demonstrated success in working with external stakeholders with an orientation to achieving win-win results.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and sound judgement.
- Proficient at thinking strategically and acting on that strategic thinking.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including excellent presentation skills be it internally, with customers or in a public forum such as a conference.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team. Being a team player is crucial.