Full-Time Chief Development Officer
BACKGROUND: 663 million people in the world live without clean water. The majority live in isolated rural areas and spend hours every day walking to collect water for their family; water that often carries diseases.
charity: water’s mission is to bring clean and safe drinking water to people in developing countries. Since its founding in 2006 by visionary CEO Scott Harrison, charity: water has surpassed $300M raised from more than a million donors. charity: water has committed more than $200M to their work in the field, funding 30,000 water projects with 29 local partners to bring 8.5 million people in 26 countries clean drinking water.
Founded on the value of transparency, charity: water operates on an innovative 100% model which is powered by The Well, a membership program of approximately 130 private donors who give annually to cover operating costs so that 100% of the money charity: water raises from public donations can fund water projects.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, the Chief Development Officer will design, implement, and lead a sustainable development strategy to increase philanthropic revenue from a diverse portfolio of high net worth supporters across the USA and around the globe. The CDO will actively manage a portfolio of major donor prospects while also supporting the CEO and Founder’s extensive prospect and donor portfolio. Reporting to the CDO is a high-performing team of 11 that will continue to grow in proportion to charity: water’s growth and increased scope and scale. The CDO will have the unique opportunity to build upon charity: water’s success by charting an innovative path forward to grow the organization’s major donor revenue and impact—specifically—to change millions of lives by providing access to clean water.
FUNDING: charity: water has a current annual operating budget of $60M and has seen unprecedented growth since conception, growing 40% in 2017 and positioned to grow more than 40% by the end of 2018. This growth is exclusively from philanthropic support, and primarily from individual donations at both the micro and major donor level. In 2018, major individual donors are expected to contribute a total of $26.5M, of which $14M will be raised exclusively for water projects through sponsorships and the gala; another $12.5M will be raised to support operations through The Well program.
- Passion for the mission and vision of charity: water.
- Ability to serve as a thought partner to the CEO on “moves management” strategy and donor experience for the overall portfolio of supporters/prospects.
- Experience building, leading, and motivating a national/global major gift team.
- A front-line major gift solicitor capable of closing and stewarding six- and seven-figure gifts.
- A collaborative, team-driven style.
- Superb relationship management, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- A commitment to encouraging optimal use of technology and information systems pertinent to the role.
- Creative and entrepreneurial.
- Results-driven; comfortable with metrics and measuring outcomes.
- Curiosity and humility.
- A genuine, warm, open and engaging style.
- A global citizen, ideally having lived or worked in the developing world, and/or a genuine passion for the work of global organizations.
- Ability and willingness to participate in evening and weekend events and to travel, as appropriate to the role.