Full-Time Catalyst Circle Director
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, EDF tackles urgent threats with practical solutions. EDF is one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. EDF operates in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Director of EDF’s Catalyst Circle will be responsible for an exciting and fast-growing segment of middle gift donors contributing in the $5,000 to $50,000 range. Over the last few years, this program has tripled in size and revenue. It now requires a full-time professional fundraiser to continue to cultivate, develop, and grow this important donor constituency over the next several years.
The Catalyst Circle Director will be responsible for annual revenue projections, development and implementation of a strategic plan that stresses continued growth, and budget oversight. The Catalyst Circle program is an important component of EDF’s donor constituency as it is juxtaposed between the Membership and Major Donor gift programs. The Catalyst Circle Director works closely with the Membership group to upgrade donors into Catalyst Circle and works with Major Donor gift officers and Donor Research team to identify Catalyst Circle donors who can move into major donor portfolios.
The Catalyst Circle Director will report to the Vice President for Development, and will directly manage a small, growing team including the Catalyst Circle Manager, who oversees much of the daily operations of the program. As the program grows, the Director will hire additional development officers to support Catalyst Circle efforts.
The Catalyst Circle Director will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Prepare annual projections and strategic plans to increase Catalyst Circle revenue each fiscal year.
- Develop stronger cultivation strategies for current and prospective Catalyst Circle donors.
- Oversee the creative messaging strategy and development of personalized solicitations to Catalyst Circle donors, which includes direct mail, email and/or phone calls.
- Develop a cultivation program that increases personal outreach and visits to the highest capacity donors to maximize their commitment and giving to EDF.
- Work closely with the Events and Planned Giving teams to develop and/or leverage EDF donor events appropriate for Catalyst Circle donors.
- Work closely with both the Donor Communications team and Membership’s creative team to compose appropriate solicitation and cultivation materials to increase donors’ knowledge and appreciation of EDF’s high-caliber work, with a goal of increasing revenue.
- Partner with the New Member Acquisition team to recruit higher level donors into EDF; develop a plan to move these donors more quickly into giving at the Catalyst Circle level.
- Prepare quarterly performance reports for EDF’s Executive Leadership.
- For FY20, prepare a three to five year plan of aggressive growth to double revenue generated from the Catalyst Circle program.
The ideal candidate will possess most of the following qualifications:
- At least 8 years of professional experience, including five or more years of demonstrated experience in major donor and high-level direct response fundraising.
- A proactive strategic thinker with the drive and knowledge to cultivate donors to increase their giving to the organization.
- Strong management skills of both people and programs. Must be able to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written skills. Strong copywriting skills are an advantage.
- Ability to manage donors through multiple online and offline channels of communication.
- Be able to work with Analytics teams to create segmentation plans and ongoing analytical reports.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills to help bond Catalyst Circle donors to EDF.
- Effective team player who can work well with many other inter-dependent Development groups: Membership, Major Gifts, Prospect Research, Events, Planned Giving, Communications, and Information & Strategy teams.
- Strong and motivational people management skills to guide program growth.
- A high level of personal and professional confidence