Full-Time Campaign Manager, Clean Water Advocacy (Philadelphia, PA)
PennFuture is leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We are protecting our air, water, and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
Job Description: Campaign Manager, Clean Water Advocacy (Philadelphia, PA)
PennFuture seeks a Campaign Manager to lead a high impact campaign around clean water issues in Philadelphia, with a focus on green stormwater infrastructure. The Campaign Manager will develop and lead a bold, sophisticated, and integrated campaign that will elevate green stormwater solutions and infrastructure as a key environmental issue among Philadelphia’s municipal leadership and residents, including around projects like the Rebuild Initiative. The Campaign Manager will be responsible for communicating clean water issues to PennFuture constituents, the general-public, and decision makers. He or she will also interpret the science for public consumption, advocate for effective stormwater policies, and work with PennFuture’s legal staff to advance legal action, when appropriate. Our ideal candidate will have both policy and technical expertise in Green Stormwater Infrastructure.
Our most urgent campaign need is to increase green stormwater infrastructure in Philadelphia to make it a significant portion of the EPA mandated goal to reduce the amount of polluted stormwater overflows discharging into the creeks, streams, and rivers in and around the city. Thus, the Campaign Manager’s goal will be to elevate green stormwater infrastructure as a priority investment for the Philadelphia Water Department and the policymaking community at the city level. The Campaign Manager will be responsible for oversight, scrutiny, and support of these efforts and contribute to a range of other regional PennFuture projects as directed.
- Develop and implement advocacy campaigns to support PennFuture’s work in Philadelphia to advance green infrastructure that will reduce stormwater pollution flowing into the main-stem of the Delaware River;
- Leverage PennFuture’s outreach, policy, communications/media, and legal staff and expertise to support implementation of a cohesive, integrated campaign;
- Collaborate with and organize PennFuture’s partners and other stakeholders to support implementation of the campaign;
- Develop and implement grassroots advocacy strategies for water campaigns and mobilize citizen advocates in key municipal council districts;
- Strengthen public policy and private support for green stormwater infrastructure in Philadelphia to ensure that green projects continue to be built and become an enduring strategy for the city;
- Educate decision-makers and the general-public about the importance of green stormwater projects; occasional lobbying of public officials and government agencies;
- Interpret complex scientific and policy information for consumption by target audiences through media work and writing fact sheets, reports, white/briefing papers, testimony and other strategic communications;
- Increase the number of grassroots, grasstops, and partners willing to participate in a range of regional PennFuture campaigns;
- Craft campaign e-mails, action alerts, website content, blog and social media posts; draft, edit, and submit letters to the editor and other opinion pieces;
- Community outreach, event tabling, public speaking; perform other projects and administrative duties as directed.
- Proven success in campaign development, implementation, and leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent social media skills.
- Enthusiasm for PennFuture, its mission, and its brand.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Driver License.
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations is preferred though not required.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years in campaign management or policy work.
- Deep understanding of environmental and conservation policies, issues, and science, especially around clean water and green stormwater infrastructure and management.
- Understanding of regional environmental and conservation landscape.
Reporting and Location: The position is based in Philadelphia, PA. This position reports to the Director of Outreach.