Internship CA Climate-Friendly School Food Intern (Remote)
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. This work is carried out by staff in our Berkeley, California and Washington, D.C. offices, as well as some remote locations.
Friends of the Earth’s Food and Agriculture program is working to rapidly transition our food system to one that is sustainable, healthy and just. We achieve success through a systems-based approach that weaves together market change and policy advocacy supported by intersectional organizing, cutting-edge science, and strategic communications. Our Climate-Friendly Food School Program helps school districts across California make the shift towards healthy, plant-forward and organic menus. Please see our website for more information on Friends of the Earth’s Climate-Friendly Food and school food work.
Friends of the Earth seeks an intern for its California Climate-Friendly School Food program, a project of the Food & Agriculture Program. The Intern position will support the program in connecting with school districts and their communities to create and promote healthy, climate-friendly menus that are dietarily and culturally appropriate for all students. Responsibilities for this role include creating notes and drafting follow up reports from meetings with school food leaders, helping with meeting scheduling and coordination, and supporting internal data collection and file organization for the California Climate-Friendly School Food team.
The Intern will play an integral role in supporting the California-Climate Friendly School Food team with organizing resources needed to be successful in shifting school food services to climate-friendly menus. The California Climate-Friendly School Food Intern will become a key member of our dynamic Food and Agriculture Team and gain valuable skills and experience in climate-friendly school meals, communications, program coordination, data collection, and community engagement. Friends of the Earth is made up of a group of smart, creative, and enthusiastic individuals with a relaxed and friendly office culture.
- Support outreach and scheduling of meetings with school nutrition service teams, government, and non-profit program partners across California.
- Take detailed meeting notes conduct research on school district wellness policies and support outreach with student, community-based health, and environmental groups.
- Gather and track baseline data from school food service directors on climate-friendly menu practices.
- Research plant-based products and vendors and create a new database/file system of plant-based and plant-forward recipes.
- Organize California Climate-Friendly School Food team’s file folders to keep team organized.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the Climate-Friendly School Food program to support our program growth.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, Office and basic Microsoft programs.
- Familiarity with Google Forms.
- Education and/or experience with public health, environmental studies, non-profit or community-based work.
- Understanding of sustainable agriculture, the intersection between food and climate, the connection of food justice to racial justice, and the harms of the industrial agriculture system.
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills.
- A highly motivated, quick learner who is able to take initiative and work independently.
- A high school diploma or GED.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- A background in environmental issues, public health, racial justice, food systems, environmental science, and/or public policy.
- Experience and familiarity with collecting, analyzing and summarizing reliable research.
This is a paid, part-time internship. Intern must be able to commit at least 15 hrs/week; (specific hours in the range of 15-20 hours per week to be negotiated) at a rate of $15/hour. The length of the internship is 4-6 months.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
How to ApplyApply using this link: https://foe.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=38
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405