Part-Time Business Organizer for the Environment
TITLE: North Carolina/Virginia business outreach consultant
STATUS: One-year consulting position, starting ASAP, with possibility for extension
REPORTS TO: E2 executive director, staff
HOURS: Part-time (20 hours/week, negotiable)
LOCATION: North Carolina. Charlotte or Raleigh preferred; must be able to travel throughout North Carolina and on occasion to Virginia.
Environmental Entrepreneurs (E2) is a national, non-partisan organization of business owners, investors and others who advocate for smart policies that are good for both the environment and the economy. An affiliate of the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), E2 works at both the state and national levels. More information can be found at www.e2.org.
Contract Work Description
We seek a dynamic and motivated individual to identify and organize non-partisan business voices throughout North Carolina and parts of Virginia in support of local, state and federal clean energy and climate policies. This person will work with existing E2 members in NC and VA but also identify and help amplify the voices of other business leaders who care about both the environment and the economy.
The ideal candidate has experience in business organizing, communications or policy, and has established business connections and contacts, preferably in the clean energy, energy efficiency, sustainability, tourism and/or clean water industries.
Job duties include identifying, organizing and amplifying good business messengers on the economic benefits of smart clean energy, clean water climate policies. This includes building relationships with business leaders and lawmakers, developing communication pieces (e.g., opinion pieces, press releases, amplifying E2 materials with media), and coordinating with other in-state partners.
Outreach and Coordination (70%):
- Business organizing: Conduct outreach to business leaders throughout North Carolina and parts of Virginia.
- Engage E2 members, supporters and other business leaders in relevant regulatory and legislative processes
- Convene meetings and events to build issue awareness and engagement
- Coordinate with E2 staff, relevant NRDC policy experts and partner groups to advance our policy objectives
- Identify and execute media opportunities
- Translate policy issues into media pieces, blogs, newsletters and action alerts
- Write comment letters
- Craft press and media materials
- Maintain member records and information in customized database application
- Experience in organizing and advocacy work
- Experience working with business executives and lawmakers
- Experience or strong interest in clean energy, climate and environmental policy
- Excellent time management, attention to detail and follow-through
- Experience working autonomously and remotely
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with clean energy and environmental policy issues
- Experience with database maintenance, Word and Excel
Resume and letter of interest should be sent to E2 Executive Director Bob Keefe at email@example.com
Position will be filled ASAP, with expected start date in January 2019. While this is a one-year consulting position, we expect to extend the duration of this contract if the consultant produces strong advocacy and membership development results.