Full-Time Business Manager
Triangle Land Conservancy (TLC) is an accredited and well-respected land trust, having protected over 21,000 acres in the rapidly growing Triangle region of North Carolina. Since 1983, TLC conserve land to safeguard drinking water, to support family farms and the local food economy, to protect important natural habitat, and to connect people with nature. TLC is currently headquartered in vibrant downtown Durham, although many staff are working remotely. This is an exciting time to work at TLC as we are making good progress on our 2018 strategic action plan that calls for us to protect 25,000 acres by 2025.
TLC seeks to attract the candidates who support the mission and who respect and promote excellence through a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion which is outlined here. TLC is committed to equal opportunity and follows recruitment and selection practices that comply with or exceed employment laws. To this end, we recruit, hire, train and promote individuals without regard to color, race, religious belief, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, or age. www.triangleland.org
This position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration and plays an integral role as part of the Finance and Administration team. The Business Manager is responsible for day-to-day accounting functions and back office administration duties. This position works closely with the Development Department to ensure timely and accurate recording and reconciliation of all donated gifts and with the Land Protection staff to ensure timely and accurate recording of purchases and donations of land.
Full Charge Bookkeeping
- Full cycle accounts payable and vendor records maintenance, prepare annual 1099’s
- Assists with recording pledges, accounts receivable and collection activities
- Lead, manage and execute month-end closing activities
- Manage, review and process business credit card statements; match receipts with transactions, codify and upload monthly
- Manage and process semi-weekly deposit of checks; enter online donation detail semi-monthly
- Perform balance sheet account reconciliations including but not limited to bank, fixed assets, benefits, depreciation, accruals and prepaid expenses
- Maintain general ledger and supporting schedules
- Write general journals to reclassify transactions and post recurring entries
- Post land transactions
- Report monthly grant-to-date activity, facilitate monthly grant meetings with staff from other departments
- Assist with organizational wide, collaborative annual budget process
- Reconcile donated revenue between Sage Intacct and Raiser’s Edge NXT software
- Establish, document, maintain and implement internal control policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain financial database(s), manual and e-filing systems
- Active participant of the Finance & Investment Committee of the Board of Directors, scribe minutes
- Lead annual audit preparation and Form 990 processing through planning, testing and reporting working with outside CPA firm
- Ensure general ledger’s accuracy and readiness, upload documents and schedules
- Review, discuss and resolve issues with audit deliverables as needed
- Systematically implement audit recommendations to enhance day-to-day accounting practices
- Update financial policies and procedures manual per new or revised accounting/auditing standards
- Maintain complete and accurate employee records in ADP Workforce Now; create new records as needed
- Compile and enter payroll data into online payroll platform; manage billable time data, compute and posts wages and deductions, reconcile discrepancies
- Process monthly payroll
- Liaison to payroll processing company
- Record keeping of payroll documents, i.e. timecards, employee profile adjustments
- Perform quarterly 941 reconciliation, manage annual W-2 distribution
- Serve as organization resource for staff enrollment, termination, status changes, etc.
- Assist with New Employee Orientation; review employee handbook and train on office and financial policies and procedures
- Active participant of the Human Resources & Governance Committee
- Update and implement procedures for retention and storage of files (accounting, personnel)
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Experience, Technical Skills and Competencies
- BA/BS; accounting or finance concentration preferred or equivalent education and/or experience
- Demonstrated experience in Sage Intacct or a comparable accounting software
- Knowledge of ADP Workforce Now and Concur preferred
- Demonstrated ability to retrieve, analyze and synthesize information to create accurate reports and lists
- Strong organizational, analytical skills, high degree of focus and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines and conduct work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility and resourcefulness in solving problems
- 2-4 years of accounting experience, preferably working in the nonprofit environment
- High proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook required
- Detail and deadline-oriented: You are attentive to details, generally get it right the first time, but invite input from other You are accountable.
- Go getter: You are mature, supportive, and dependable, can easily shift back and forth from working autonomously to working collaboratively, and desire to undertake new and varied projects and responsibilities.
- Flexible and capable: You manage changing priorities with ease and get the job You take projects from start to finish and anticipate changes in schedules.
- Process-oriented: You are efficient with setting up and maintaining systems to create high quality work in collaboration with
- Great communicator: You have excellent writing and proofreading skills. You demonstrate poise, diplomacy, and tact when appropriate, but have a natural tendency toward sharing joy, inspiration, excitement, and passion.
- Team player: You actively support a culture where people encourage each other and work together to succeed and/or celebrate the successes of You ask for help when you need it and also pitch in to support others.
- Has a strong understanding of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and a commitment to making our work more equitable and supporting those
- Ability to work non-standard office hours as required (not a regular occurrence).
Benefits: This is a full-time permanent and exempt position with excellent benefits; including employer paid health, dental and vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability, retirement contribution, with generous paid time off and holiday observances.