Full-Time Building Performance Associate
Illinois Green Alliance is seeking a Building Performance Associate to build on our nearly 20-year history working in the green building and sustainable communities movement in Illinois.
Formed in 2002, Illinois Green Alliance’s mission is to foster transformative impact in our communities through green building education and advocacy. Illinois Green is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with more than 600 members and work areas divided among education, policy and advocacy, and strategic initiatives. Illinois Green is funded through an even mix of memberships, sponsorships, events, and grants. The organization is governed by a 12-person Board of Directors and has five full‐time staff. Illinois Green’s staff works collaboratively and engages frequently with the Board and other volunteers.
The Building Performance Associate will be responsible for supporting the further development and implementation of several programs that seek to reduce energy use and carbon emissions from the building sector. Currently, these include Illinois Green’s Neighborhood Power Project and Sustainable Facilities Mentor Program; the City of Chicago’s Retrofit Chicago Program and Building Energy Benchmarking Policy support; and other related education, advocacy, and strategic initiative efforts.
The Associate will work under the supervision of the Associate Director and work closely with the Executive Director. All staff work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to achieve Illinois Green’s organizational goals, as laid out in the 2021‐2025 Strategic Plan, with a focus on mainstreaming net zero building design and performance throughout Illinois.
The Associate’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate multiple projects in a program area and keep projects on task without losing sight of the bigger picture with direction from senior staff, including:
- Draft and implement scopes of work, work plans, timelines and deliverables;
- Identify and solve problems during project implementation;
- Ensure overall adherence to project schedules and deliverables
- Support ongoing analysis of building performance data
- Plan, organize, and execute program‐related events
- Support and grow volunteer and pro-bono technical assistance program offerings
- Assist stakeholders (building owners, educators, building professionals, and volunteers) with program participation, including but not limited to phone and email communication
- Foster relationships with partner organizations, volunteers, community leaders and building stakeholders
- Support partner organizations and community leaders to share building operations best practices within their network
- Represent Illinois Green externally. Interface with stakeholders, with the ability to customize messaging for diverse audiences (i.e. local and state government officials, builders, architects)
Ideal candidates for this position will share a commitment to sustainability and green building practices and will bring a variety of experiences and attributes to Illinois Green, including:
- Postsecondary degree or 3‐5 years of related experience interfacing with the public to provide guidance or support
- Strong, verifiable experience in data analysis, data visualization, and reporting
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity with issues pertaining to energy efficiency in existing buildings
- Experience considering the impacts of the work on multiple communities, including communities of color, in technical analysis
- Preferred: Familiarity with Energy Star Portfolio Manager, sustainability and climate policy, as well as sustainable building certification programs such as LEED, Living Building Challenge, and Passive House
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Creativity and enthusiasm
- Strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with staff, Board, and other volunteer stakeholders
- Excellent problem solver
- Ability to analyze existing tools and structures and provide recommendations for improvements
- Enthusiasm for Illinois Green’s mission
Illinois Green’s office is in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago. Illinois Green promotes a healthy work‐life balance by maintaining flexible schedules for all staff. Ability to work outside of regular business hours for events, and for occasional day travel to areas throughout our region (personal car not required). Residency in the region, or ability to commute, is required when in‐person work resumes. Employees currently have the option to work remotely.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full‐time position that offers competitive compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience, and excellent benefits including: health, dental, and vision, a 401k plan. In addition, Illinois Green offers paid time off and paid professional development opportunities.
Starting salary is $35,500 – $55,000, commensurate with experience.
Illinois Green Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Illinois Green is committed to improving diversity and inclusion across the organization, including at the staff level, and strives to center equity and racial justice in our work. Illinois Green can only realize its mission and goals effectively by achieving greater diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—among the stakeholders who inform and engage with our work.
Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Building Performance Associate.” Applications will be considered until the position is filled.