Full-Time Brazil Researcher
The ICCT is pleased to announce the opening of an immediate opportunity for a highly committed and self-motivated researcher to serve as a full time consultant to support clean fuels and vehicles research in Brazil. This position provides an exciting new opportunity for a recent college graduate at the masters degree or PhD level, or an early career professional with at least three to five years of experience, to pursue their interests in transportation, the environment and energy-related topics in Brazil. This position will support ongoing ICCT work in Brazil on soot-free and zero emission urban bus fleets, urban air pollution, national fuel quality and vehicle emission standards, and other strategies to improve the environmental and energy performance of the transportation fleet in Brazil. The ideal candidate will bring strong writing skills with knowledge of the transportation sector and environmental or energy topics, along with project management experience, written and/or spoken fluency in English and Portuguese, international education or travel experience, and demonstrated interest in solving our most pressing global health and environmental challenges. This opportunity is based in São Paulo and is best suited for someone with initiative, creativity, resourcefulness, curiosity and a willingness to work hard and learn fast.
- Collect and analyze vehicle, fuel, and transportation activity data from Brazil and Latin America;
- Estimate costs and benefits of vehicle emission reduction technologies and strategies; develop quantitative and qualitative analyses of technology and operational strategies to reduce vehicle emissions;
- Write clear, strong technical reports, policy briefings, and articles to summarize ICCT’s research for key stakeholders;
- Engage and collaborate effectively with ICCT staff and key partners in Brazil and Latin America to gather information and communicate relevant findings from ICCT’s research to support policy development;
- Coordinate workshops, invite-only meetings, and other outreach events; present research and conclusions in a range of venues; educate policymakers and journalists in Brazil and Latin America;
- Master’s degree in engineering, environmental sciences, or related disciplines preferred, or 3 to 5 years comparable work experience;
- Strong technical understanding of air quality, climate change, and transportation emissions, including vehicle and fuel regulations, market-based initiatives, and fiscal instruments;
- Excellent research, analytical, and quantitative skills, along with strong written and verbal communication skills, and strong emotional intelligence;
- Strong proficiency with data manipulation and analysis, plus good modeling skills for use with vehicle activity and emissions;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision; highly organized, self-directed, and strategic in problem solving and identifying policy needs;
- Some travel required, within Brazil and internationally;
- English/Portuguese fluency required; Spanish knowledge a plus.
The ICCT is an independent, global, non-profit research organization that supports effective policy-making on climate change and public health by providing timely, accurate, data-driven research and advice to regulators, NGOs, and other stakeholders. The ICCT has offices in Washington, DC, San Francisco, Berlin, and Beijing. The ICCT offers a mission-driven, egalitarian, culturally diverse workplace where intelligence, flexibility, transparency, and good humor are highly valued. This is a position for a full-time consultant located in São Paulo, Brazil. Learn more about us at www.theicct.org.