Full-Time Brazil Country Director
Position Title: Brazil Country Director
Reports to: Program Director Health In Harmony Global (HIH Global)
Location: Altamira, Para, Brazil
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Compensation: Competitive according to relevant experience
SAMA Health In Harmony understands that the health of people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Our work is based on planetary health principles—that to safeguard the health of people, we must also protect the health of the natural systems on which they depend. Our holistic approach helps vulnerable communities access the resources they need, so they do not have to destroy their ecosystems to survive—combining access to affordable and high-quality care, opportunities for alternative livelihoods, and conservation programs to restore degraded ecosystems.
SAMA Health In Harmony is going through the incorporation process to become a legal entity of HIH Global in Brazil. The Country Director position will be responsible for SAMA Health In Harmony’s strategic program response in the Andes Amazon Bioregion. In collaboration with the HIH Global team, the Director will define the program operational strategy, coordinate SAMA Health In Harmony’s program execution, identify program challenges and opportunities for expansion, and represent SAMA Health In Harmony and HIH Global’s interests before third parties. The Director will ensure compliance with Health In Harmony’s Radical Listening approach to realize organizational objectives and implement community-led solutions. The Country Director will work within the framework of international and national laws and national and state regulations.
- Provide strategic oversight and planning for SAMA Health In Harmony program implementation guided by the Radical Listening methodology.
- Make data- and research-driven strategic decisions and pivot the program based on impact results when needed
- Provide feedback and evaluation of the Radical Listening methodology to optimize the methodology in a unique context
- Develop and oversee the execution of a portfolio of conservation, health, education, forest economy and protection program activities in line with HIH replication model at the Xingu Basin middle lands in Brazil ensuring that activities progress in line with program goals and targets specified in grants and annual plan
- Enable on-time, on-budget, and on-scope program implementation and work to promote continuous quality improvement of programs
- Provide support in conservation programs in the areas of subsistence, sustainable and alternative livelihoods (forest economy), reforestation, and agriculture
- Raise staff input and concerns to the HIH Global Program Director for discussion and decision-making by the SAMA Health In Harmony and HIH Global management team
- Support the incorporation process of SAMA Health In Harmony as a legal entity of Health In Harmony in Brazil
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration between the country and global teams to facilitate success of the program
- Oversee development of systems together with SAMA Health In Harmony team to streamline accounting, data collection, and monitoring of programs
- Ensures that staff are aware of, and follow, organizational procedures, core methodologies, and overall vision
- Lead and oversee security management of teams, and ensure that sufficient safety and security support is provided to them, especially those in high-risk environments.
- Timely development of strategic and annual planning for programs to inform budget development and fundraising strategies
- In collaboration with HIH Research Team, design indicators for measuring program impact, as well as systems for collecting and storing indicator data for analysis and synthesis, ensuring data is regularly reviewed and used for program tracking and decision making
- Provide oversight and support to the Programs team in using data to track progress on goals, identifying successes and challenges, and making necessary adjustments to program implementation and prioritization
Grant Writing & Reporting
- Lead annual planning & budget with Program Director, Finance Manager and Chief Financial Officer
- Support SAMA Health In Harmony financial grant reporting responsibilities with SAMA Health In Harmony Finance Manager and HIH Chief Financial Officer.
- Collaborate with HIH Global grant writers in developing grant proposals and actively scouting funding opportunities and innovative financing mechanisms that align with the Health in Harmony program at the country and regional level.
- Provides timely information to HIH Global on the results of program activities for grant reporting purposes, actively seeking feedback on how to incorporate planetary health, sustainable forestry economies, capacity building of local teams, and other pillars that can be explored with program development, and ensuring that program activities are aligned with local and global funding and grants opportunities
- Continuously evaluate and understand both local and global funding and grants opportunities, seeking to expand the Health in Harmony program on a bioregional level
Representation & Strategic Partnerships
- Develop and nurture relationships and networks to ensure optimum communication and program success. Build strong constituencies to include SAMA Health In Harmony, civil society leaders, private sector, government officials, donor community officials, and the general public
- Work in close collaboration with local and global teams to identify opportunities to disseminate program outcomes and progress in various forums, from academic to policy making, to climate finance and conservation fora that will enable visibility of the program
- Represents SAMA Health In Harmony at a local, national and international-level forums (meetings, workshops and conferences) as appropriate
- Support onboarding of new staff
- Participate in community outreach and field activities on a regular basis to monitor activity progress, ensure contact with local partners, nourish active dialogue, and achieve legitimacy with local stakeholders
Qualifications and Requirements
- 10 or more years of experience in a leadership role in the field of conservation or social sciences
- 5 or more years of program operations experience including direct hands-on skills in program development, strategic planning, program implementation and evaluation; program financing and financial management, team building, and human resources management
- Brazilian national (required)
- High attention to detail and able to manage sensitive and confidential information
- Experience and interest in global development, ecology, anthropology, planetary health or other relevant field required
- Demonstrated strong initiative, with the ability to work with diverse multidisciplinary teams at various levels, including local communities, civil society groups, and international partners and teams
- Cross-cultural management experience
- Proficiency in Google Workspace, Canva, and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communications skills
- Fluent in Portuguese and English (other local languages are a plus)
- Proactive, flexible, creative, and resourceful
Health In Harmony is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equity as a core organizational value. Applicants should be able to demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Applicants from diverse communities and communities of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter with your resume in English here no later than August 25, 2023. This is a rolling recruitment and the candidates who fit the criteria outlined in the job opening will be immediately invited for an interview.
The deadline for submission of candidatures may be extended if the position is not filled by August 25, 2023. Inquiries regarding the position are welcome and can be addressed to [email protected].