Full-Time Associate Director – Remote
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Associate Director will share the full spectrum of executive responsibilities for GEM, including strategic planning, budgeting, program management, fundraising, hiring, staff support, partnerships, technology development, administration, and outreach.
According to the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC), we have only a decade to make massive and unprecedented changes in the global economy to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. To meet that challenge, Global Energy Monitor is creating trackers and other tools to provide detailed information on energy facilities, sponsors, and financing.
About Global Energy Monitor
Global Energy Monitor (GEM) is a network of researchers developing information for the worldwide climate and clean energy movement. Since the organization’s founding in 2007, GEM’s research has become an essential tool for activists, journalists, policymakers, and scientists. GEM’s data and reports are used and cited by organizations ranging from Greenpeace to The Wall Street Journal. GEM’s information is used by Bloomberg Terminals, the International Energy Agency, the IPCC, Climate Analytics, Carbon Tracker Initiative, and hundreds of others.
Note: GEM does not have a central office; instead, GEM works with employees to create suitable home offices catered to the needs of their role. Remote staff need not be based in the United States.
The Associate Director will supervise approximately 2-5 employees.
Position Summary and Duties
Specific duties include the following:
- Strategic planning. The Associate Director will support the development and maintenance of a strategic plan to guide the development of continuing programs and new initiatives.
- Budgeting. The Associate Director will work with the Executive Director and the Operations and Finance Director to maintain and adapt the organization’s working budget throughout the course of the year.
- Development. The Associate Director will contribute to the development of the organization’s funding strategy, create project-level funding plans, and work with potential and existing funders to develop funding concepts and proposals. For active funding, the Associate Director will work with the program directors and project managers to develop reports for funders.
- Staff recruitment, hiring, and support. In collaboration with the Executive Director and the HR Manager, the Associate Director will create job descriptions, develop recruitment plans, hire new staff, and support staff training and professional development.
- Program management. The Associate Director will work with the leadership team to oversee and support GEM’s programs. This may include: meeting regularly with project managers and program directors to provide support and ensure that projects are running well, managing researcher time across multiple projects, assisting with the development of existing and new program areas, and researching and implementing best practices in project management.
- Partnerships, outreach, and media. Along with the Executive Director, the Associate Director will develop relationships with partner organizations and represent GEM to the media and in public forums.
- Organizational structure, culture, and communications. The Associate Director will ensure that GEM’s culture is positive and affirming and that internal channels of communication, organizational structure, and chains of command are fair, effective, sensible, and well structured.
Education & Experience
This role requires an advanced degree in climate policy, energy, non-profit leadership, or other related fields, with at least 10 years of professional work experience related to climate and/or energy work and at least 5 years of experience supervising and mentoring staff. Experience with supervising in distributed work environments is a plus.
Other required experience:
- Programmatic experience. Demonstrated expertise and leadership on topics relevant to GEM’s program, in particular energy systems and their environmental impacts.
- Technical expertise. Demonstrated capacity to manage technically sophisticated programs.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice. Demonstrated leadership in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
- Relationship Building. Excellent relationship-building skills with the ability to engage with diverse audiences, be attentive to others’ feelings, thoughts, and motivations, and earn trust by consistently demonstrating integrity, authenticity, and professional competence.
- Leadership. As an executive leader, the Associate Director will set an example of decorum and integrity, displaying the qualities of openness, diligence, dedication, kindness, fairness, and community-mindedness.
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week, work-from-home position. The salary is $135,000-$150,000 with cost-of-living adjustment for non-U.S. locations.
- Paid health, vision, dental insurance
- Long-term disability and worker’s compensation insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with 3% employer match
- 4 weeks paid vacation, plus 18 holidays, 10 sick leave days, and other leave
- Location-based remote work stipend
- Paid 12-week sabbatical leave after five years
Equal Employment: Global Energy Monitor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment determinations at GEM are based exclusively on the needs of the organization, specific job requirements, and a candidate’s individual qualifications. These determinations are made without regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, physical, mental, and/or sensory disability, sex, orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, medical history, or military service. GEM is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Accommodations: We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]