Full-Time Associate Attorney – Atlanta, GA
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking an Associate Attorney in our Atlanta, Ga. office. This individual will join a team of highly qualified attorneys and legal support and administrative staff and will report to the Georgia Office Director. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
The Associate Attorney position is an entry-level position open to recent law graduates, attorneys completing clerkships, and practicing attorneys. The term for an associate position is two years, with the potential for a third year.
Although our offices are currently closed and staff are working from home, we plan to reopen our offices in April 2022 and will implement a hybrid work model of at least 3 in-office working days and 2 at-home working days, per week. We’re requiring all staff to be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to work in our offices.
- Working with our more senior attorneys on litigation and legal advocacy.
- Collaborating with internal support and administrative staff along with external partner groups on new and existing projects
- Working in state and federal courts and before commissions and regulatory agencies alongside the other Georgia SELC Attorneys.
- Engaging in policy development and analysis in various settings at the state and federal level.
- Performing research, analysis, and writing on environmental issues relevant to the Georgia legal team.
- 0-3 years of professional experience (post-law school experience)
- Law school graduate with excellent academic credentials and either admitted to, or willing to apply for admission to the Georgia state bar association.
- Background in environmental law and/or litigation.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including the ability to translate technical and legal issues into plain English.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to build and maintain effective relationships with a diverse set of clients and partners.
- Strong independent initiative and the ability to contribute effectively and to collaborate as a member of a team.
- Oral advocacy experience and comfort speaking in varied settings, legal and non-legal alike.
- Strong commitment to environmental protection and addressing the causes of climate change
- A strong personal commitment to SELC’s mission, including SELC’s commitment to being an open, welcoming, diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization.
About SELC: The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. For more details about our benefits, please visit our Careers page.
How to Apply
- To apply, click here to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript, one writing sample, and 3 references. There is no deadline for applications. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled so interested persons should apply immediately.