Full-Time Assistant to the Director of Finance & Administration
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking an Assistant to Director of Finance & Administration in our Charlottesville office. The primary responsibility of this role is to provide the Director of Finance and Administration with executive level support. This role will also provide administrative support to two other senior staff members. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, organized, and willing to jump in wherever needed.
SELC currently has a hybrid work model that offers employees the flexibility to work at home up to two days per week. We require all staff to be vaccinated and boosted and to provide proof of vaccination in order to come to work in our offices. This is a full-time position.
- Coordinate travel arrangements and itineraries.
- Prepare expense reports.
- Assist with Board subcommittee meetings and preparation as needed.
- Assist with scheduling meetings: coordinate calendars, set up Teams and conference calls.
- Work in excel spreadsheets and provide budgeting assistance.
- Update insurance spreadsheets; compile data for annual insurance updates.
- Manage Westlaw and Pacer accounts and invoices.
- Assist with coordination of on campus interviews.
- Track and compile information; assist with recordkeeping.
- Provide administrative support for hiring initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or the combined equivalent of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of experience in an office environment.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work closely and professionally with executive staff members.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Windows 10 and MS Office 2019.
- Extensive experience and proficiency with MS Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; a genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC create and foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.
- Quick learner and inquisitive nature; forethought to ask good questions and be a good listener.
- Proactive; ability to see a need and offer suggestions to fill the need.
- Experience with databases.
- Experience as an executive assistant.
- Experience at a non-profit or interest in the environment and the mission of SELC.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 170, including more than 80 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. The salary range for this position is $42,960 – $51,552, commensurate with experience. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
How to Apply
- To apply, click here to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. The initial deadline for receipt of complete applications is November 21. However, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.